Diving Lake Mead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done a few dives in Lake Mead. We dove during the summer months when the air temp was over 100 and the water temp at the surface was in the 80's. Wore a 3/2 wetsuit which worked fine until I got down about 30 or 40 feet. Then the water temp immediately dropped and I definitely felt cold. Visibility varied from almost zero to perhaps 40 or 50 feet. Went with Scuba Views dive shop which is located in Las Vegas at the corner of Rancho and Cheyenne. They did a good job.

Hey!

Just happened to notice this thread! I know its a little late for the question about Lake Mead in March, but you never now when someone might be looking again..

Me and my buddies dive the lake year round.. Normally we hit Kingman Wash, located on the AZ side of the lake... (First exit past the new bridge, if your coming from Vegas). We dive wet year round... 7mil w/hood in the winter and 2/3mm in the summer... winter temps are about 52-54 and summer low 70's with a thermolcline at about 30' dropping the temp to about 68 and another around 50'. Viz during the winter can be as good as 40-60', during the summer you can expect 10-15 with it opening up as you get deeper. If we have the time we generally drive to Laughlin and dive Cabinsite cove in Lake Mohave.... its paved all the way and viz is generally better. There is also more to see (used very loosely), there is a school bus and panel van sitting in about 40' of water just off shore.. and two coves over (small hike) there is a 35' cabin cruiser than was gutted and sunk in about 60' for training. Get out early during the summer because the shore gets extremely crowded with boaters.. also you'll find all the divers are gone by about 10am because of that reason.... Anyways.. hope that helps...

---------- Post Merged at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Just a heads up... American Cactus closed at the end of May after 20+ years.. :(

Thx for the post Icnuemono, I am suppose to be moving over there before the end of the yr for a couple of months. I was beginning to think no divers existed there and be content to fly back to S. FL once a month. Hopefully we can get some dives in

There is diving in Lake Mead .... I just got certified in April and have done 8 open water dives in Lake Mead. In March, I was wearing a 7mm suit, hood and gloves. You can contact scubafy in boulder city for all your diving needs. It is the closest dive shop to Lake Mead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom