I need answers about becoming a Navy Diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSW007

New
Reaction score
Hi there! I've already taken and passed my ASVAB & MEPS. I scored high enough to want to enroll in Navy Diving School; however, I'm just so confused on everything. My recruiter has set me up for PST (I do not yet have a ship out day for boot camp). I will be doing PST every Monday for about a month. My question is, what happens after boot camp and what do I need to do to get into Navy Diver school. I'm afraid that if I DON'T qualify for Navy Diving school, then I'm just going to end being stuck with a "construction" job or something that I'm not interested in. I've been reading a few past threads and it seems like my recruiter may not be telling me everything I need to know. When do I try to get into Navy Diving School? How? If not, then what are my choices? Will I have a choice if I don't do Navy Diving? If someone could just give me a quick summary on what happens after the initial boot camp and what I should request or say...I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
SSW007. I retired from the Navy in 2008. You need to get the school you want (diver) put into your enlistment contract. By doing so you will be guaranteed the school upon graduation from boot camp and your rating school. If the recruiter does not give you exactly what you want, than i suggest you rethink your plans. Maybe find a rating you really enjoy like Ordnance, electronics, aircrew etc. this was kinda short so feel free to pm me if you like. I hope this helped.

IYAOYAS

I'm former Air force, but you should know before going to boot camp if you signed up for your PST that's the first step. I hope your recruiter told you that you have to pass those. you should be able to start after boot camp. Here's a link that may help you.

Navy Diver (ND)

Congratulations SSW007. I retired from the Navy in 1996, and I agree 100% with Ordie, get EVERYTHING in writing before you go. I saw (and was almost a victim of) plenty of folk being told 'If it isn't in the contract, it doesn't count'. I made sure when I went to boot camp I had a copy of my signed contract, and had to show it because they had 'no record' of me being guaranteed the school of my choice.

SSW007, now that Navy Diver is it's own rate, the A school for it is in your contract before you leave for boot camp. Following boot camp, you will have a Diver/EOD prep course in Great Lakes before you report to NDSTC. If one does not successfully pass at dive school, the Navy would give you orders to whatever rate they have available at the moment. In the meantime, keep working hard at surpassing the limits for the PST. Feel free to PM me for additional details and good luck with your journey. HMC (DV)

So I know that the navy dive school has a high drop out rate around 80% if my research is right. If you do get dropped how long do you have to wait till you can try again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom