Was There Ever An Air2 recall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maskfog

Registered
Reaction score
I have an Air 2 infiltrator for my BC. The infiltrator button fell off at 15 feet. The default position was to inflate. Thank god I was not doing my 85 foot dive I would have shot 10 foot in the air. Anyone hear of any problems or heard of recalls.

Last edited:
I have an Air 2 infiltrator for my BC. The infiltrator button fell off at 15 feet. The default position was to inflate. Thank god I was not doing my 85 foot dive I would have shot 10 foot in the air. Anyone hear of any problems or heard of recalls.

No related recall. Can you provide a little more information on the nature of the failure and the recent service history. The seat assembly should still be in the inflator accessible through the inflator plug. Did it unscrew or did the shaft on the inflator button fail?

Sounds like a service error and/or a lack of adequate user cleaning.

ere is a screw on the back of the button with a nut on it. The nut came off. This let the button come off and then the spring holding flow regulator closed stuck in the open position.I serviced all my equipment in December. I clean everything every time I dive. I use a big wash tub and flowing water. My equipment was very clean. That is not the issue. The issue is that the nut under the red button came loose. If the button snaps on to the nut to hold it in place, then the nut could not turn and un screw. But if the button holds onto something else, then it "could" have come loose. But why is the default position of the inflator is the free flow position? That is the danger. It seems a bad design. It should be in the closed position then I could manually blew air into the BCD.

Thank god I was not doing my 85 foot dive I would have shot 10 foot in the air.

Were you never taught how to disconnect the LPI in case of free flow? There's no reason for a failure here to be anything more than a minor nuisance.

ere is a screw on the back of the button with a nut on it. The nut came off. This let the button come off and then the spring holding flow regulator closed stuck in the open position.I serviced all my equipment in December. I clean everything every time I dive. I use a big wash tub and flowing water. My equipment was very clean. That is not the issue. The issue is that the nut under the red button came loose. If the button snaps on to the nut to hold it in place, then the nut could not turn and un screw. But if the button holds onto something else, then it "could" have come loose. But why is the default position of the inflator is the free flow position? That is the danger. It seems a bad design. It should be in the closed position then I could manually blew air into the BCD.

No nut holding the button to the shaft. The button is molded onto the shaft. Sounds like you may have broken the button. When that button is lost, the spring force is lost and the seat is open. Moving the spring to the other side of the seat would allow it to fail closed but require more room in the plug. Plus, similar damage and failure of the plug would still result in a fails open mode. Hence, the QD.

http://www.scubaproregulatormuseum.org/Air_2_3rd___4th.jpg

Were you never taught how to disconnect the LPI in case of free flow? There's no reason for a failure here to be anything more than a minor nuisance.

Even if he missed this in his OW course, one would think that after 1000+ dives, as stated in his profile, he would have figured this out.

Guys, a full on situation with a BC inflator can be a handfull for anyone for a few moments and if you are at depth, it will take a little time to react and disconnect the LPI then grab your dump valve. Don't be too quick to criticize with so little information. The OP only asked a simple question. I think he got the answer, but I suspect bad maintenance or an unusual failure since the inflator button fell off. I've used an Air 2 since 1988 and never seen something like this.

Guys, a full on situation with a BC inflator can be a handfull for anyone for a few moments and if you are at depth, it will take a little time to react and disconnect the LPI then grab your dump valve. Don't be too quick to criticize with so little information.

Right... which at worst could be accomplished well-before the diver "shot 10ft out of the water" and at a minimum should preclude the consideration "shooting 10ft out of the water" as an unavoidable result of a free-flowing LPI

I'm just saying...

:d

Maskfog,

What generation is your Air 2? If you're not going to replace that nut per the rebuild specs, I recommend using lock tight (or fingernail polish) on the threads to prevent your problem from recurring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom