Creating a jetty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is just a random thought, but does anyone think its possible to create a jetty somewhere east of St Andrews, such that it would provide another shore dive in that area? Im thinking alligator point as this is convinient for me, of course. Or maybe st george island. Ignoring the legal and environmental hurdles, is it as simple as dumping a bunch of rocks out for a few hundred feet to attract life?

You've got to have an inspection of materials and a permit for any reefing you plan. Talk to Robert Turpin with the Escambia County Marine Resources, and I'm sure he can put you in touch with his Counterpart in Bay or Gulf County. He can probably give you some pointers on how to get projects moving too. That guy's put a lot of reefs down since I've been diving.

Yeah, I dont know if Ill pursue it. Was just thinking itd be nice to have a rock jetty closer to TLH. Seems like an easy way to make a dive spot. I imagine the paperwork alone would kill my enthusiasm.

You'd probably have to submit an environmental study to show how it might affect beach erosion in the vicinity.

I'd definitely love the idea of having a jetty towards Tally, but it would probably be a big task and like you said it would probably shy you away from pursuing it. It's probably worth looking into though, I know a lot of people that would support the idea including all of FSU dive club and the Tallahassee dive community in general. Not to mention you can never have too much reef/jetty for the nice little sea creatures to call a home!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom