Niagara Drift Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,
Haven't been on much lately, but I thought I'd chime in. I did two Niagara Drifts Dives yesterday on the Canadian side with RU4Scuba, run by Jim Wieser and Don Abel, very cool dives. I'd do it again in a heartbeat! I wore my 5mil full with gloves, no hood. I could have gotten away with a 3 mil, but without having to kick, a 5 mil kept me warm. A few of the group wore 3 mils, and a couple wore shorties, it's really your perefernce.
But check out RU4Scuba @; Offering PADI Scuba diving lessons, dive gear, and excursions in the Rochester, NY region.
We had a great Time!

We dove on tge canadian side few times the emtry was under the rail road bridge and exit 40 mins down the flow.
There is a cool place called washing mashine up the river but you better do it with someone who knows the place.

I am in Buffalo now and looking forward to diving this Wednesday.

Are you diving the river wed niht with discover if so i will see you there. Did a drift yesterday it was 75 degrees at 30 ft in the channel with 15 + visibility

Are you diving the river wed niht with discover if so i will see you there. Did a drift yesterday it was 75 degrees at 30 ft in the channel with 15 + visibility

I am planning on being there. I called before traveling this way and heard that the river was warmer than I thought. I brought my full 3 mil wetsuit instead of my 7 mil. I still brought gloves and hood just in case, but it doesn't look like I will need them.

Went diving with "Discover Diving" last night at Isle View park. This was my first dive in the Niagara river. Had a lot of fun! Great group of people. Unfortunately the viz was less than 15 ft. most times, but WOW does that current move you! I also never realized just how much garbage is continuously floating around in our waterways.

A special thanks to Adam for helping me get my keys out of my car after I decided to take my only way into it [remote] with me under the water. Apparently you can't count on dry suits always staying dry. :D

Oh yah, and the free hot dogs provided by the shop after the dive was an extremely pleasant surprise. Nice touch!

Went diving with "Discover Diving" last night at Isle View park. This was my first dive in the Niagara river. Had a lot of fun! Great group of people. Unfortunately the viz was less than 15 ft. most times, but WOW does that current move you! I also never realized just how much garbage is continuously floating around in our waterways.

A special thanks to Adam for helping me get my keys out of my car after I decided to take my only way into it [remote] with me under the water. Apparently you can't count on dry suits always staying dry. :D

Oh yah, and the free hot dogs provided by the shop after the dive was an extremely pleasant surprise. Nice touch!

Vis was between 15 and 20 when I went a few weeks back. Discover Diving was a great host. It was my first drift dive, so I had to fight the urge to kick. I'll do this dive again when I am back in the area. I think I'll try a few charters next time as well.

Are these all still being done? I am coming to Grand Island for a week in July to visit my parents and am looking at getting a few dives in, well really as many as possible. I am not totally sure I want to go out on lake erie but am for sure interested in doing a few dives in the river. Besides the dives that both the shops do weekly anyone wanna buddy up and dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom