Calling restaurant and food experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
I've posted my subjective guide to Cozumel food at Dining - Casa Suzana and could use your help. It's a bit different from some other guides in that it's categorized by meal in an attempt to answer the question "where could we go for breakfast [or lunch or supper]" rather than sorted by price or location. Thus, there are multiple lists in which some restaurants appear more than once.

Since this is my personal listing of places I can recommend, I'm not necessarily going to add anything, though it's quite possible I've left out someplace I shouldn't have. I won't add any place I haven't eaten or liked. For example, I've never been to Prima so can't list it. My wife's been to Sorrisi but thought it overpriced and unimpressive, so I can't list it.

What I could definitely use is criticism and accuracy-checking of what is there.

It's quite likely that I've gotten something terribly wrong in the Food Terms / Local Cuisine section, in which case I'd love to know it. ("Trompita" does refer to lips when it comes to tacos de cabeza, right?)

Since my wife and I both seem to have lost the addresses and phone numbers for El Coctelito, Hanal-Ki, and La Sirenita, it would be most appreciated if anyone who knows could tell me.

Trompa is like a mexican gyro. It's made from pork, or at least the ones I have seen are. The meat is sliced thin, marinated, partially cooked and then stacked in a loaf and put on a rotisserie cooker. As it is ordered it is shaved, grilled some more and put into tacos.

Details about what?

---------- Post Merged at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Trompa is like a mexican gyro. It's made from pork, or at least the ones I have seen are. The meat is sliced thin, marinated, partially cooked and then stacked in a loaf and put on a rotisserie cooker. As it is ordered it is shaved, grilled some more and put into tacos.

Really?

That sounds exactly like al pastor. How is it different? And why is it (trompita, not trompa) listed under the "cabeza" section at taquerias that also offer tacos al pastor?

mstevens,

I want to tell you that your website for Casa Suzana and all of the information you have there is AWESOME !! Great job ! I wish you the best with your Cozumel home.
Sue

A bit of research showed that tacos de trompo (not trompa) and tacos al pastor are the same thing, with the "de trompo" term limited to northern states. "Al pastor" is definitely the dominant term on the island. Both are descendants of shawarma introduced to Mexico City, using the pork popular in Mexico in place of lamb or beef used by the Muslim originators.

"Trompita" is something else altogether. It's typically listed with the Cabeza tacos, as on this online menu.

First of all, congrats on the website. Clicked on your link out of sheer curiosity and ended up reading it all through (and daydreaming I won the lottery). It's both very informative and entertaining, and I love the layout and navigation. Great job.
Many of the places you've listed are also the ones I'd recommand (although I prefer Los Otates' al pastor over El Pique's). If you haven't yet, give el Chino Marinero (either on Juarez or Rosado Salas, between 20 and 25, across from el Mercado), or El Morrito (next to Zermatt, across from Quinta's) a try : they both serve tortas de camaron empanizado. IMO not as savory as those from El Camaron Dorado, but will do to fix a craving if one is stuck in town without a vehicle to head on the transversal.
"Trompita" does refer to lips when it comes to tacos de cabeza, right?
According to a friend, trompita does refer to lip tacos. As she is a chef and has been living in Mexico for over 20 years, I'll take her word for it.

My teen son loves cabeza tacos, particularly lengua. I'll take his word for it. (from Local Cuisine - Casa Suzana)
According to my butcher dad, cheek and tongue are the most tender parts of both beef and pork. I'll take his word for it too.

I have on two occasions at Otates steeled my will and braced the missus and we were ready. She agreed to try cheek tacos with me. Sadly both times they were out of cheek. I couldn't bring myself to go for the gold, so we settled for the the three gringas....

OK, I've located an address and phone number for el Coctelito on 20a Av. Sur between Calle 17 & 19 Sur and an address for la Sirenita on Coldwell at Calle 1 Sur and have updated my list accordingly.

I'm pretty sure that Hanal Ki is across from the Bomberos on Juarez, but even though they have a website there is absolutely no useful information there. There's what looks like a phone number but it has too many digits.

If anyone can supply phone numbers for la Sirenita and Hanal Ki I'd be most grateful.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom