Wide Angle wet lens for Canon G11/G12 with Canon housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No that is a US price without tax for the Inon plus Dyron adapter
Inon prices are similar what changes is sales tax 6-10% US 20% Europe

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 12:36 PM ----------

DSLR and wet lens have nothing to do with each other

Your adapter would not hold the weight of the lens you need something stronger, yours is designed for diopters

STIX can add up to 20 ounces which is 556 grams you need less elements for the Inon but also need to cut the floats to adapt it

Generally speaking: can you use 67 mm wide angle lenses with G12 in WP-DC34 housing, which produce GOOD, SHARP images (no soft edges etc.)? I'm thinking of getting one, but don't want to spend hundreds of euros for nothing. :)

If this is possible, what are my options? So far I've found some:
- Inon UWL-100 Achromat Wide Conversion lens Type 1/Type 2 (with/without dome)
- Inon UWL-100 28M67 Wide Conversion Lens Type1/Type2 (with/without dome)
- Epoque ECL30-67DR Wide Angle Lens (dome available?)
- some Fix Fisheye products

Can I use 67 mm threaded wide angle lenses later, if I decide to upgrade to DSLR?

Is a mount base attachment enough to hold the lens in place (I currently have one from Deeproof) i.e. how much buoyancy does one of those STIX float belts add?

I, personally, have abandoned Fantasea BigEye and other such items after seeing so many photos with blurry edges and reflections when taking photos against the sun.

Has anyone come across photos taken with G12 + Canon WP-DC34 housing + Inon UWL-100 (+dome)? Would be interesting to see them. It's a lot more expensive with the dome than e.g. Fantasea BigEye, but will it give GOOD, SHARP photos (also on the edges)? How much does one have to zoom in and what will the pictures look like then?

First you would need an UWLH-100 28M67 as the G12 has 28mm equivalent lens
The reason why you don't hear about this combo is that all 67 adapters for the canon housing are really only it for light diopter
The inon uwl100 with dome is a glass lens and even underwater is very negative (525 grams or 18.5 oz)
None of the 67 mm adapters for the canon housing can bear that weight so you need first to make the lens nearly neutral by using some kind of float (no standard solutions exist to date) and then you need to ensure you always put the lens on in the water
My recommendation is to get the 67mm adapter and then go to an inon reseller and see how much vignetting you get on land without the dome, if this is marginal you can be almost guaranteed the set up in water will work
But this is not experimentation to do buying the items on the Internet

First you would need an UWLH-100 28M67 as the G12 has 28mm equivalent lens
The reason why you don't hear about this combo is that all 67 adapters for the canon housing are really only it for light diopter
The inon uwl100 with dome is a glass lens and even underwater is very negative (525 grams or 18.5 oz)
None of the 67 mm adapters for the canon housing can bear that weight so you need first to make the lens nearly neutral by using some kind of float (no standard solutions exist to date) and then you need to ensure you always put the lens on in the water
My recommendation is to get the 67mm adapter and then go to an inon reseller and see how much vignetting you get on land without the dome, if this is marginal you can be almost guaranteed the set up in water will work
But this is not experimentation to do buying the items on the Internet

Thanks for the info. I would definitely go to an Inon reseller, but there is none here in Finland. :) I've been trying to find photos taken with G12 + Inon UWLH-100 + Canon WP-DC34 housing, but haven't found any yet.

That is because that is not a standard set up. All 'normal' users of the G12 will have a diopter adapter and a fantasea or H2O dome

The configuration I am suggesting is non standard and I would not recommend anyone to buy expensive equipment without testing!

---------- Post added April 24th, 2012 at 10:36 PM ----------

Just to make it clear the G9,G10,G11 are great cameras but other than the fisheye housing or the 10bar all the other (ikelite, canon) essentially offer no wide angle lens support
The fisheye housing is $1,099....

far as I know you can not avoid this only by changing the focal length of the lens or to crop the photo in processing
This is the biggest mistake that has made the canon with G series housings
I say this as the owner of the G7 and G9 to a question in store introduced fiber products INON told me that the lenses create this with G series housings

Last edited:
Can't comment on the G10 through G12 (28mm equivalent), but prior to switching over to an slr, I shot my G9 (35mm equivalent) with the Inon UWL-100 and the Inon fisheye dome, and I was very happy with the results. I did however use a Patima housing, which had a port dedicated to wide angle and one dedicated to close-up. Here's a few of my shots taken with the G9:

Bahamas_Lionfish_09-17-2008_2403a_Resized_.jpg

John_Hovering_Over_Orange_Sponge_09-16AM-2008_017a_Resized_.jpg

IMG_49642.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom