Teen fatality - Ras Al Khaimah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From Emirati teenaged diver drowns in RAK - Emirates 24/7
A 15-year-old Emirati boy on a diving trip with his father off Ras Al Khaimah died under the water on Friday after his neck was caught by his oxygen cylinder pipe, a newspaper reported on Saturday.
The two were diving off the Red Island in the northern emirate on Friday afternoon when the father lost track of his son, Alkhaleej said.
After a search, the father found his son motionless under the water and the cylinder pipe was wrapped tightly around his neck.
“The boy, a student in the secondary class, suffocated to death under the water after his neck was accidentally caught by the oxygen pipe and he could not free himself,” the paper said, quoting police.

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a hose long enough to do that on a primary. Maybe an octo hose, but how in the world could that happen? Sounds fishy....

The underwater equivalent of being killed by a car's seatbelt. I agree that it's decidedly....odd.

very sad news about the boy

i think the rest of the report is pretty unhelpful.

The more journalism reports about dive accidents I read the more infuriating it gets. Other than another tragedy perhaps due to buddy separation, the rest makes no sense.

Not heard anything from any of the major dive operators here so far about this.

Possibly they were diving independantly.

Does seem a strange report, but after seeing how some people dive around here, not unbelieveable

Course director at Al Boom Diving in Dubai, Mohammed Helmi, said it was uncommon for a pipe to get wrapped around a diver’s neck. ??????? They call hose pipe? Did he have a 7' ?pipe/hose? I wonder?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom