High Island 389-A Rig @ FGB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TXreefer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New article about the possible removal of 389 or the conversion to an artificial reef.

We (TAMU-CC) did a lot of work out there. We had a chamber onboard, did trimix training and dives, studied all the reef dynamics of the organisms. It's a great place to dive.

I worked for a environmental consulting company and was out there for 9 months while they drilled in 2001. I wish someone could find a way to purchase it and turn it into a research center. There are (were) some great facilities and potential.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47855790/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/

Great link. Thanks!

What's really funny are some of the "comments" at the end of the article. I particularly like the one (from someone who is evidently an ardent "environmentalist")..."What I want to know is how did the oil company get the right to drill in a fish sanctuary?"

Of course, the answer never occurred to them...they didn't. High Island 389 was there first and the FGB National Marine Sanctuary was established and expanded to enclose the platform later. No new drilling permits will be issued for the sanctuary after the present ones expire.

Thanks for the thread and the article!

They have been talking about decommissioning 389 for a long while now- even when I was at TAMU-CC (98-03). I have dove on many of the cut off R2R (rigs to reef) as part of the Texas Artificial Reef Program. Personally I would rather have the whole thing there than from 80' and down. But I guess the the latter is better than nothing at all. Too bad the "people who make decisions" aren't divers too.

In this one case I agree with you that it might be worth keeping the thing in tact, but eventually it will begin falling apart. Once it starts to really fall apart it will be much harder to remove. I like the reef-in-place concept, but I think we can afford cutting them off at 60fsw. There are tankers that approach that draft, and in the future there may be many more.

I'm a deck officer, so I don't want to see the gulf littered any more than necessary with surface obstructions. It's completely crazy to take them out completely though. P&A the wells, and take the top 60 or 80 feet off. The structure remains, hurts nothing (save a few invasives), and IS the bulk of structure in the gulf. It's why we still have fisheries like we do.

This rig is in a protected area, so ships are already avoiding it. Ironically, the last dive I did on this rig I came up and told Frank I saw the prettiest light green coral I've ever seen. He told me I obviously didn't shine my light on it because it's actually red, and it was invasive cup coral. Drat!

Do what you can to help save the rigs. Even if you think they are ugly or should never have been installed, they are the best housing we have for our fisheries.

-dennis

Can anyone tell me the latitude and longitude of High Island 389-A? I have a friend with a big boat who has volunteered to take me out for a dive, but I can't seem to find its exact location.

Thanks for all your help.

That rig is 100 miles offshore! You still wanna go alone?

100 miles off shore, oh my!

It's not quite 100 miles offshore... :wink:

The rig is at 27 deg 54.2' N and 093 deg 34.4' W. The trouble with going to dive the rig is that it isn't always diveable. I don't believe in all the inviolate dive rules that the scuba priests pass down, but in this case I would recommend that you make very careful plans. It's a long trip, far from help, and weather changes can make the trip back in very unpleasant. But, if you have a sound and seaworthy boat, a responsible and experienced operator who knows how to handle divers safely, a pile of safety gear, and the bucks to get it done, then I say don't miss out on this dive.

I just bought a small boat 22 ft and I have decided not to make a trek out there. But, if they said tomorrow that they will remove it, I would reverse that decision, pile extra fuel in the boat, buy a video camera, beg my friends to go, conduct training if needed and then I would push the boat right to its limit and dive this rig like crazy. (I would also sneak my speargun in the boat - if they can dynamite the fish, screw their rules!)

At work, they preach what we call "stop work authority." It's our responsibility to call something off when things change and make it dangerous. Obviously, everything we do is dangerous, but when conducting a trip like this, you need to be prepared and most of all, you need to be willing to call it off. If the trip becomes unsafe or even iffy, go back in. If you make it all the way there and the conditions are terrible, you must be willing to pack it in and call it a wasted trip. If you're not willing to do that, then stay home with the scuba priests. Every dive is risk management, but you have to actively manage every dive. Most people would call me a risk taker, and I'm telling you this trip is tough. If you need help drop me a line and we can talk about it. I've been going too far out in small boats for years - lol

-dennis

I meant 100 more figuratively! I agree 100% with your post and would've added a lot of that after they realized it was so far out there. You would be brave (or crazy!) to go out in a 22-footer!! But it is a dive you'll never forget. I'll post a pic in a bit from a FGB trip on the MV Fling.

It's nearly 100 miles, I know you were kidding, as was I. What's 10 more miles among 90, right?

One thing I didn't mention though was the experience of the diver. If you've never dove a rig before, then I retract all of that. The water there is DEEP and you must be able to manage your depth. I wouldn't bring anyone on the rig who wasn't already very comfortable rig diving. I'd also bank on drift diving the rig rather than tie off. That's why you need a good boat guy.

Good luck and keep it safe out there.

-dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom