Best Small Towns w/ great diving (and fishing?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearkeley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys - husband and I are planning to retire in the Philippines (I was born in Manila but grew up in the US). We are beginning our research but would love any advice on places to check out initially (plan is to live at different places for 6 months at a time before settling down)....which would you recommend as the top 2?

Here's more about what we are hoping for:

* Mix of shore and boat diving.....prefer reef / walls but can appreciate a good wreck or two if there's life. Enjoy spending a lot of time looking at the little stuff so more sites with mild or no current is preferred.

* Would love to have at least a couple of dive ops to get to know, but eventually would also like to be able to go out on our own (we will be on fixed income eventually, right?) ;-) (a cool bar nearby to decompress after dives would be great too!)

* Town -- definitely NOT a city, but reasonable distance to an international airport - would want it to be small enough to have the opportunity to be a part of the community. Definitely do not want to be 'near' shopping malls but within a couple of hours to one is good. High speed internet a must over tv.

* Weather - not sure what options there are with this yet, so insight (especialy dive conditions most of the time) would be appreciated....6 - 9 months of good weather doable?

Anything else I'm forgetting? Oh - yeah...we also like to fish (legally and with the utmost respect so prefer fish that are edible - no interest in sportfishing for the large ones)

Salamat!

There are only four airports serving international flights at the moment :
Cebu, Clark, Kalibo and Manila.

Here's more about what we are hoping for:

* Mix of shore and boat diving.....prefer reef / walls but can appreciate a good wreck or two if there's life. Enjoy spending a lot of time looking at the little stuff so more sites with mild or no current is preferred.

* Would love to have at least a couple of dive ops to get to know, but eventually would also like to be able to go out on our own (we will be on fixed income eventually, right?) ;-) (a cool bar nearby to decompress after dives would be great too!)

* Town -- definitely NOT a city, but reasonable distance to an international airport - would want it to be small enough to have the opportunity to be a part of the community. Definitely do not want to be 'near' shopping malls but within a couple of hours to one is good. High speed internet a must over tv.

* Weather - not sure what options there are with this yet, so insight (especialy dive conditions most of the time) would be appreciated....6 - 9 months of good weather doable?

Anything else I'm forgetting? Oh - yeah...we also like to fish (legally and with the utmost respect so prefer fish that are edible - no interest in sportfishing for the large ones)

Salamat!

Hmm, I think you give a pretty good description of Anilao. Or possibly Dauin, close to Dumaguette (not an international airport, but frequent flights to Manila). When you do find that perfect spot, let me know, I will come join you in about 10 years! ;-)

Bearkeley,
I am an American Citizen(coincidently from VA ) living in the PHilippines and we chose Moalboal for many of the same reasons you listed.. Dumaguette is also a great choice, as is Bohol (Alona) . I just brought back some fishing tackle from the states but have yet to catch a fish :(..... Let me know if you want any info...

Cheers,
Roger

Hmm, I think you give a pretty good description of Anilao. Or possibly Dauin, close to Dumaguette (not an international airport, but frequent flights to Manila). When you do find that perfect spot, let me know, I will come join you in about 10 years! ;-)

Thanks -4 hours to an international airport is fine -- just ran across as forum on Dumaguette so will definitely check it out. We figured we will most likely visit as tourists over the next couple of years and when we finally retire, will most likely rent for 3 - 6 months at a few places before we settle down...so hopefully in 10 years, I can tell you where that perfect spot is! ;-)

Bearkeley,
I am an American Citizen(coincidently from VA ) living in the PHilippines and we chose Moalboal for many of the same reasons you listed.. Dumaguette is also a great choice, as is Bohol (Alona) . I just brought back some fishing tackle from the states but have yet to catch a fish :(..... Let me know if you want any info...

Cheers,
Roger

Hey Roger - small world! Good to know about Bohol and Moalboal - just not sure if i can pronounce it! Checked out your profile - looks like you've got a small dive op out of Moalboal - will try to look you up when we make plans to visit! I will certainly check out details about the places you mentioned but if you can provide any more details that could help us, please feel free to PM or post....why Moalboal over Bohol for example? Of course, feel free to give an update on what you end up catching with your new tackle! (just caught a cobia this weekend on the bay - largest fish I've personally reeled in!)

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Well....not quite, if you really want to know, I'm happy to elaborate. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom