Buddy System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

windapp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to bring up a point, based on some recent accidents and incidents postings.

If you dive in a buddy pair, observing all the rules involved with diving in a buddy pair, the dive boat will know within 4 minutes if you have gone missing.

1 Minute to search underwater.
3 Minutes to ascend from 100 ft.
1 Minute to search at the surface.
Then the alarm goes out.

How long will take the boat to realize if the "Buddy Pair" goes missing?

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is ... if you use the buddy system properly you shouldn't be getting separated. And if you do, then you should BOTH be surfacing ... in which case the boat won't have to worry about a diver going missing.

The reason these things end up in the Incidents and Accidents forum is because people weren't using the buddy system ... they were just two divers who happened to get in the water at approximately the same place and time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just say to hell with it and go Solo. Solo is probably safer than trusting an incompetent buddy anyhow.

I don't think it's wise to suggest to a newer diver on the Basic scuba forum to dive solo. I believe solo diving should only be done with proper training and redundancy, as well as proper experience (most solo diving courses have the minimum prerequisite of 100 dives).

Sure, there are horrible buddies, and sometimes with a horrible buddy, it's like diving solo. But if you don't know your buddy's skill level or if you think your buddy is horrible, you should probably plan with your buddy on limiting your depth before you enter the water to above 60ft, so that a CESA is easier if necessary. I've had negative buddy experiences, but all (except one) would have been eliminated with proper dive planning, proper communication, and proper buddy habits.

I don't think it's wise to suggest to a newer diver on the Basic scuba forum to dive solo. I believe solo diving should only be done with proper training and redundancy, as well as proper experience (most solo diving courses have the minimum prerequisite of 100 dives).

Sure, there are horrible buddies, and sometimes with a horrible buddy, it's like diving solo. But if you don't know your buddy's skill level or if you think your buddy is horrible, you should probably plan with your buddy on limiting your depth before you enter the water to above 60ft, so that a CESA is easier if necessary. I've had negative buddy experiences, but all (except one) would have been eliminated with proper dive planning, proper communication, and proper buddy habits.

Divers should be informed and do what they are comfortable with. All I am saying is I see sooo many threads about people having buddies that completely let them down. Atleast with solo diving you know what you are dealing with.

I would like to bring up a point, based on some recent accidents and incidents postings.

If you dive in a buddy pair, observing all the rules involved with diving in a buddy pair, the dive boat will know within 4 minutes if you have gone missing.

1 Minute to search underwater.
3 Minutes to ascend from 100 ft.
1 Minute to search at the surface.
Then the alarm goes out.

A recent magazine feature was opposing perspectives on the buddy system. In the end it is all scenario dependent.
1) If you have a good buddy and dive as an effective team then your safety margin is certainly greater.
2) If you are an experienced solo diver making appropriate dives with redundancy and skill then you have well controlled risks.

Much diving falls someplace in between with less than ideal mutual support.

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is ... if you use the buddy system properly you shouldn't be getting separated. And if you do, then you should BOTH be surfacing ... in which case the boat won't have to worry about a diver going missing.

The reason these things end up in the Incidents and Accidents forum is because people weren't using the buddy system ... they were just two divers who happened to get in the water at approximately the same place and time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is exactly the point. I was framing a scenario where one buddy got into trouble, and got separated at the same time to give an example. It seams like a lot of divers, even experienced ones don't realize the value of the buddy system, and often don't use the buddy system properly even when they are not using proper redundant equipment.

Even if you are using redundant equipment, your remaining risk can be substantially mitigated by having another person who is always aware of your current situation, and ready to provide aid if you need it.

My favourite dive buddy has never been diving outside of the quarry, and we will be doing a wreck dive next weekend. I would rather have this person as my dive buddy than some of the insta-buddies I have had in the past. I feel safer diving with him because I know whatever happens, he will be there.

if you use the buddy system properly you shouldn't be getting separated.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob I agree, when applied properly the buddy system is a key component of scuba safety. (I say this even though I sport a solo diving C card and do use it from time to time).

Astonishingly, my buddy and I managed to lose each other a few weeks ago even though we were in 20 ft vis and remaining within touching distance. Basically we were moving around a large rock at about 30ft depth. A freak surge hit us and we got pushed to opposite sides of the rock. My buddy was now in current and I wasn't. Met again at the surface about 15 mins later. It should be rare to lose your buddy, but It can happen even with the best of buddy skills and you need to know how to deal with it.

For the OP, it actually took 15 mins to find my buddy;
- we were diving a shore entry and were the only 2 in the water.
- conditions had deteriorated during our dive and it took me 10 mins to move to safety from where I surfaced (I had 5ft waves breaking over the reef onto me, pinning me to a rock outcrop or plunging me under).
- we couldn't find each other on the surface until I had put my SMB up.
- the site is usually rated easy and a good place for beginners to gain experience.

Basically the minute on the surface to find your buddy should work, but in reality my buddy (instructor rated) and I needed 15 minutes. Afterwards we agreed that it had been a freak event. We also rated this as the scariest moment in each of our diving careers.

Last edited:
there are only 2 types of buddy.

those that cast you a quick glance every 30 seconds or so and those that dont.

its just a slight head movement usually.
no need for signals or anything-just a glance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom