Arizona accident critically injures one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Not much info yet. At least the dive buddy and off duty medic gave him a chance. From Man extremely critical after scuba diving accident at Lake Pleasant
Lake Pleasant - A scuba diver was in extremely critical condition after an accident at Lake Pleasant Sunday morning.
Peoria Fire Department spokesman, Tom Pendley, said the 49-year-old man was recreationally scuba diving with a group. His dive partner noticed the man motionless in about 15 feet of water.
The group got the man out of the water and a bystander, who was an off duty medic, started CPR and got a pulse.
The victim was taken by air to John C. Lincoln hospital.
No word on what caused the accident.

Last edited:
I didn't know critical had levels of seriousness.

Here's some more very vague info. I was diving at a different lake today but had friends that were there. There's conflicting reports which dive site the diver was at on the lake as of now. After watching the video on KPHO, it appears to have been somewhere in the Desert Tortoise dive site area. I have also heard from a couple other people who were diving at separate sites at the lake that there was a rebreather involved. Definitely curious to find out who it was and what happened.

Godspeed to the injured diver and a huge thank you to the first responders.

Lake Pleasant diver pulled unconscious from water - CBS 5 - KPHO

Last edited:
Is this a rebreather accident? It looks like the equipment laying in front of the sheriff's vehicle is a rebreather with a bailout tank next to it...

Is this a rebreather accident? It looks like the equipment laying in front of the sheriff's vehicle is a rebreather with a bailout tank next to it...
I haven't heard anything really. The pic might be from the accident, or it might be from another accident - but the journalist used it as it seemed ok with the story.

Friend of mine was teaching the off duty Medic. The diver was on a rebreather.

I spoke with some guys from my shop who were there, this is what I understand:

1 - he was diving a rebreather
2 - buddy surfaced and called for help
3 - he was unresponsive at 15' on the bottom, not breathing
4 - he was emergency surfaced and given CPR at the scene - they got a pulse on scene before medics arrived.

speculation is that he overbreathed his loop or had an equipment malfunction causing CO poisoning

---------- Post Merged at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:27 PM ----------

I spoke with some guys from my shop who were there, this is what I understand:

1 - he was diving a rebreather
2 - buddy surfaced and called for help
3 - he was unresponsive at 15' on the bottom, not breathing
4 - he was emergency surfaced and given CPR at the scene - they got a pulse on scene before medics arrived.

speculation is that he overbreathed his loop or had an equipment malfunction causing CO poisoning

Or there was a problem with the O2 supply to the rebreather. Like it wasn't turned on, or something impeded the flow, or ...

Maybe a flock of flying sea monkeys flew into his rebreather cutting off the oxygen supply.

Don't mean to be disrespectful of the victim but your post is just as much speculation as mine is.

Back
Top Bottom