Key Largo or Key West with new divers??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Key Largo, hands down, no comparison, for diving and for family stuff to do and for keeping costs down. Lots of great dive ops in Key Largo.

Mrs. Mac's Kitchen, Marker 88, Pilot House, Craig's, these are a few of my favorite places. There aren't a lot of bad meals in the Upper Keys, in my opinion. I sure did love living there.

We had Marker 88, staying 2 doors down at The Bayside Cottages in Islamorada, Mrs. Mac's, The Island grill, The Hungry Tarpon, Lazy Days, Ziggie and Mad Dogs all were excellent. Some are fine dining some are very casual.

Dove with Conch Republic and Key Dives. Had to use 2 places because half of Conch Republic's trips this week were wreck dives and I'm only OW certified. I did gain a lot of valuable experience this week though in these 3-5 ft seas.

Mike

+1 For Key Largo (obviously) although Key West can be family oriented for a day out if you know where to go. Stay off Duval St and concentrate on all the hidden gems in the back streets in the old town. Cafe Soleil is my fave. Fantastic restaurant.

You can still do advanced diving with the kids in tow. I usually run deep and a shallow boats at the same time. Put the newbies with a guide on the other boat whilst you do the cool stuff:) You deserve it:) Or there's the option of sneaking a deep ledge in from the same boat whilst they stay on the reef.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with those who portray Key West as a modern Sodom and Gomorrah. Do you want to take your kids down to Duval Street during Fantasy Fest?, probably not. But if you take a look at a site like Key West and Florida Keys Area Directory - Attractions, Shopping, Dining, Nightlife, Hotels, Motels, and Lodging, you'll see that Key West has a lot more to offer than bars and drag queens. KW has more beach area and a lot more museums and educational attractions than Largo does. Key West is compact and walkable with a lot more for kids to do on a rainy day than Largo. KW is more expensive, but for our family it was always worth it. Regardless of where you end up, if you want to save money, look for a vacation rental rather than a hotel room. Do an Internet search for "Key West Vacation Rental" or "Key Largo Vacation Rental" and you should be able to find something that will be larger and more comfortable than any hotel room (or rooms) and competitively priced.

Either way, you can't really go wrong. Have fun!!!

My wife and I are fairly new divers and did Key Largo last year and loved it. We dove with a company called Rainbow Reef and thought they were great. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a smooth day of diving. I have pics on my profile from our dive last year if you're interested.

-ToeFrog

Key Largo has eels, nurse sharks, great reefs. Rainbow Reef operation is very good, they even send a dive master down with you and point out marine life.

I live in Miami and would prefer to go to Key Largo lol.

Largo is best, also a Marine Animal Park not far in Islamorada, another town close: Tavenier has great park with beach. Nice area for your children, family oriented. Try John Pennycamp also, they dive in the Marine Sanctuary.

Try John Pennycamp also, they dive in the Marine Sanctuary.
Pennekamp is a nice state park. ALL of the Key Largo DIVE BOATS DIVE in the Pennekamp MARINE SANCTUARY with the same name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom