Where to drop bottles in N. FL Caves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TecDiver1990

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

I've heard some stories recently about some people dropping their O2 bottles near the sign or at 20ft in the caves (i.e. the ledge in the eye or by the sign in the ear) and when they come out their bottles are gone, and that can be a real problem. I realize this might not be an issue at some caves, but I just want to see everyone's take on this and to know where everyone else is dropping their O2 bottles in some of the more "popular" caves in N. Flordia.

I've not had issues at Jackson Blue, Little River, or Peacock(course I don't drop O2 in Peacock). I don't let my tanks out of eyesight at LR and I place my bottles at the goldline well inside the cavern.

Ginnie/Devils seems the biggest issue, I don't dive there, but if I did, I'd just carry the tanks in further.

I am with the Bug on LR. I never let anything out of site there. At Ginnie We have one of us gear up and wait in the water at the stairs while the other transports stages and deco bottles to the water and then gears up. Our deco bottles get dropped well past the sign. I have never had anything stolen, knock on wood, but I have come out and had someone playing with my O2 bottle.

I've never worried too much about gear at LR. But I don't dive there much. At JB I have seen swimmer breath hold dive into the deco room and up into the air pocket in the ceiling. Because of this I always drop my deco cylinder near the gold line. I don't know if they would try to steal a cylinder but I don't want them to try to take a hit of the regulator only to find the valve isn't open and they end up in trouble. If they can breath hold to the gold line it's all on them. I do this year round because I'm a creature of habit. If I'm going to do that in the summer it's gets done year round.

I'm of the same thinking...take the deco bottles in past the sign and clip them into the gold line.

Put a sticker that reads 'Radioactive' or 'Deadly Toxic Gas' on your bottle....That'll make 'em think ;O !!!!!

a good rule of thumb is if you find beer bottles laying around, hide your bottles.

a good rule of thumb is if you find beer bottles laying around, hide your bottles.

older model ford or chevy truck with a lift kit,and a bumper sticker that says "American by birth,Southern by the grace of God" with a stars and bars background. Axiom#1 tire size is inverse to intelligence

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom