Worthington or Faber, what is the better choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure where you get that. Worthington (I have 2) weighs 33 pounds empty, versus 38.7 for the Faber. Buoyancy characteristics are -2.5/-10 empty/full for the Worthington, and -7.26/-14.76 for the Faber. I have a buddy with a Faber and you can definitely notice a difference. With all that said, they are both good tanks, and either way it allows you to shed a bunch of lead.

I was going by the set of faber and the set of worthington tanks that are sitting in my garage.

Those are not the special permit 3442PSI fabers; you're describing the old 3AA fabers. Big difference. The SP fabers are very similar to the other 3442 tanks in terms of buoyancy; I think the fabers are listed as 1 lb less negative empty, dry weight is about the same. The big difference is the fabers are painted and the worthingtons are galvanized.

Edit: the chart insta-gator posted might not be accurate IME, it could be that one company lists empty buoyancy w/out valve, the other with, I don't really know. I do know that with a small AL plate and 3 mil suit, no lead, I have no problem staying down with the faber, and my suit has got to have a couple of pounds positive buoyancy at least.

The al plate is 2 lbs so you've got 2.6 lbs neg buoyancy w empty Faber, not to mention a sta if you're using one. That may be enough to overcome the buoyancy of your suit.

I should add that the XS tank would be too heavy for you, but for us cold water divers the XS makes more sense, from the point of reducing the amount of lead you need to carry.

Last edited:
If you are on the taller side 5.10-6+ forget Worthingtons , they are short tanks

I am on the short side 5'8", that is one of the reasons I am looking at the Worthingtons, particularly the hp100's.

I currently have two Norris lp95's without the plus, so I am lucky if I can get a fill to 83cf. So I am not to inclined to double up these monsters. I will most likely sell these when I get the 100's.

The LDS I will be getting either of these tanks from will have to order them. They keep much of nothing in stock and does not know much of anything about any doubles, BP/W's, long hoses, or anything about tec. So I am a little reluctant to take advise from them. Not to mention they hate SB, that's a deal breaker.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I was going by the set of faber and the set of worthington tanks that are sitting in my garage.

Sorry. I was going by the Worthingtons and my buddy's Faber that are, like you, in my garage. Mine are HPs. Maybe that's the difference.

I sold tens of thousands of each, and there are slight differences between them, but in my opinion you can't go wrong with either.

The al plate is 2 lbs so you've got 2.6 lbs neg buoyancy w empty Faber, not to mention a sta if you're using one. That may be enough to overcome the buoyancy of your suit.

Not this plate. It's one of the earliest freedom plates, much smaller than a standard plate. It might be a pound negative, if that. I suspect that the actual empty buoyancy of the faber FX 100 is around -2 lbs w/valve. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the empty buoyancy is listed w/out valve.

I use Worthington LP 108's with an 11lb V-Weight and a 6lb SS Backplate in a DS for cave diving BM. I use Faber LP 95's for SM in a DS and Hollis SMS 100. Worthington or PST are the better tanks for BM IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom