Captain Lost Our Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some information. I've been diving since 1988, not enough, but still diving and love it. I've dived quite a few places and no, not in Cozumel. One day, maybe. I don't do deep dark holes and for those that do, more power to you, I just won't do it. I also know that diving can be a risky sport, but I do my best to reduce those risks without being nuts about it. So, yes people have died while diving in nearly every location you can dive on this earth. I just think that if I have my flag, float, or SMB up there the entire time, it is less likely that the boat will not be able to see where I am. My opinion of the dive operator's duties are much different than most people today. In my opinion, they need to get me to the dive site, give a good briefing of the site, and get me to the dock. That's it. Anything else is icing.

Live boating is where the boat follows the divers bubbles and that is all the indication of where the divers may be. I like to have a float or flag above me when I dive, this is called float diving if you want to be perfectly correct about it. Most people call this drift diving. Drift diving is where you hang on a line or platform under the boat while it drifts or trolls slowly. Drift diving is usually used to look for things under the surface rather than for a pleasure dive. Live boating is not something I would be comfortable with in any kind of wave or wind action that can hide the divers bubbles. If you have a float or flag, there is no question of where the divers are located.

And I for one am very impressed with the way Christi handled this issue. Way to go.

I see no reason to close it. The incident is a risk to live boat diving and all divers need to be responsible enough to prepare and act if needed.

Sometimes I am the first to ascend low on air, and I remember once doing so alone, seeing my boat a ways off next to another boat, chatting or doing magic tricks as he had done of us earlier. I blew my Dive Alert once and he came over, but not many carry those. You can argue the value of Sausages, mirrors, etc. - but they are very good ideas for anyone, along with dive lights on day dives and strobes - at least a camera strobe. Getting a Nautilus each is a big step, maybe a good one - but I am thinking of renting a PLB with dive box from Outdoor Equipment Rentals for our next trip. It's a big step to set one off, but if all else fails - worth it, even tho the need for such is very rare. (If you have a real emergency OEM does not charge for needed battery replacement.)

And then there is the issue of carrying lead on an emergency swim with a leaking BC. Gear problems happen, but weights are ditchable for good reason - too often forgotten.

There have been a few other times I've used my Dive Alert. None that I ever reported, but things do happen...

Last edited:
Since the OP & the dive op have hashed this out, come to a good resolution and generally worked out any and all issues, can a mod close this? With the vultures circling and now taking pot shots based on hear-say, 3rd person accounts and rumors from "ex-pats", I fear it will just whirlpool into something more than it needs to be.

I vote close it before more of this happens: :bash:

Here, Here

Oh shoot, I wanted to say, I heard about this ______ from a friend's younger brother, who's ex-wife has a third cousin in Seal Team 6.

Some information. I've been diving since 1988, not enough, but still diving and love it. I've dived quite a few places and no, not in Cozumel. One day, maybe. I don't do deep dark holes and for those that do, more power to you, I just won't do it. I also know that diving can be a risky sport, but I do my best to reduce those risks without being nuts about it. So, yes people have died while diving in nearly every location you can dive on this earth. I just think that if I have my flag, float, or SMB up there the entire time, it is less likely that the boat will not be able to see where I am. My opinion of the dive operator's duties are much different than most people today. In my opinion, they need to get me to the dive site, give a good briefing of the site, and get me to the dock. That's it. Anything else is icing.

Live boating is where the boat follows the divers bubbles and that is all the indication of where the divers may be. I like to have a float or flag above me when I dive, this is called float diving if you want to be perfectly correct about it. Most people call this drift diving. Drift diving is where you hang on a line or platform under the boat while it drifts or trolls slowly. Drift diving is usually used to look for things under the surface rather than for a pleasure dive. Live boating is not something I would be comfortable with in any kind of wave or wind action that can hide the divers bubbles. If you have a float or flag, there is no question of where the divers are located.

And I for one am very impressed with the way Christi handled this issue. Way to go.

Believe me, you're not inventing something that nobody in the last 50 years hasn't ever thought of while diving in Cozumel. Somebody will quickly set you straight about how impossible it will be on too many of the dive sites of Cozumel to drag floats around, your line will simply get caught on the huge structures of the reef on many of these awesome dive sites.

Remember -locations have different methods of diving based on local conditions, there is a reason nobody drags floats around in Cozumel other than nobody thought of it before.

Cozumel diving is very easy. This incident has been pointed out by more than one person as to how very unusual it is just for the fact that no other boat helped them out.

A year ago a diver in our group separated from us at Columbia shallows, he did the entire 90 minute dive by himself and at the end was picked up quickly by another boat and brought over to ours. It's wasn't a big traumatic issue. Diving in Cozumel is very safe and simple. If you're a competent, intelligent diver you will find it ridiculously fun and easy diving. Remember, mostly only the juicy stuff gets posted. Nobody posts a thousand times a week about -" yet another routine dive at Santa Rosa Wall... all good, had fun, saw some fish..."

To all:
Interesting to see the thread be used for sharing and learning from experiences of others. As I've said, I'm not the most experienced diver compared to most of you but I do love it and in no way did this experience turn me off from diving. In fact, I believe, it makes me better for the future. I loved being in Cozumel for the first time and I really do look forward to my return...and I will go back to hire Christi and Blue XT Sea. We did, in fact, have a nice conversation and she was completely sincere in every way. She really wants me and my friends to return and use her services again and with the follow up she did, I plan to do just that. I've learned alot by reading some of your posts and some suggestions made, so thank you all! No need to be critical in any way since the issue has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Again, Cozumel has become my favorite part of Mexico and I look forward hanging out. having a Sol at Wet Wendy's and certainly more diving. :)

Thank you Steve! I really do look forward to your return and showing you how things are normally done with BXTS! I will even go out on the boat with you personally next time - you have my word on that too! And maybe I'll even join you at WW's - I haven't been there in awhile either! Please give N my best wishes as well - I know she was the one that suffered the most in this experience!

To all:
Interesting to see the thread be used for sharing and learning from experiences of others. As I've said, I'm not the most experienced diver compared to most of you but I do love it and in no way did this experience turn me off from diving. In fact, I believe, it makes me better for the future. I loved being in Cozumel for the first time and I really do look forward to my return...and I will go back to hire Christi and Blue XT Sea. We did, in fact, have a nice conversation and she was completely sincere in every way. She really wants me and my friends to return and use her services again and with the follow up she did, I plan to do just that. I've learned alot by reading some of your posts and some suggestions made, so thank you all! No need to be critical in any way since the issue has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Again, Cozumel has become my favorite part of Mexico and I look forward hanging out. having a Sol at Wet Wendy's and certainly more diving. :)

:clapping:

It sure is NICE to see reasonable people come to a GREAT understanding! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

It sure is NICE to see reasonable people come to a GREAT understanding! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
This is surely going to ruin our reputation! :D

Remember -locations have different methods of diving based on local conditions, there is a reason nobody drags floats around in Cozumel other than nobody thought of it before.

Bingo! I was gonna say this earlier. I was taught as a DM to defer to local experts. The dive industry in Coz is not composed of clueless and careless idiots. Maybe a few but most are excellent and safety-conscious dive pros. They have undoubtedly given a lot of thought and tried many things over the years and the prevailing practices are what has evolved.

Nimoh: You won't have any luck meeting Christi at her dive shop. I went all over Miguel in April looking for her shop because I wanted to say hello. I stay at SCC and love it there but have been a SB member here for awhile and am impressed with Christi from her postings. I just wanted to drop in to say hello. No such luck. I'm told she doesn't have a store front and totally understand why.

No luck either meeting Dave. I did find the shop but he was still overseas. I like to put a face to the names of people posting here.

Maybe on our next trip in November...or January.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom