Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Relatedly, does anyone know if Atomic offers the Cobalt hoses in custom lengths? The standard hose is too long for putting the console on the left hip D ring.

The QR fitting on the end of the hose fits standard HP hoses so your LDS can accommodate you from stock hoses.

spiney diver,

I am having the same problem. I got back from a dive trip, the Cobalt worked great, but I tried to download the software and my windows computer will not recognize the cobalt when I connect it to the USB port. I hope someone can send me the instructions for the battery removal. I removed the 4 fasteners on the rear but the rear cover won't come off.
Thanks

Last edited:
spiney diver,

I am having the same problem. I got back from a dive trip, the Cobalt worked great, but I tried to download the software and my windows computer will not recognize the cobalt when I connect it to the USB port. I hope someone can send me the instructions for the battery removal. I removed the 4 fasteners on the rear but the rear cover won't come off.
Thanks

PM me with an email address and I will forward the battery removal and reinstall instructions- I don't know if that's what you need to do, though. Is your Cobalt running and just not being recognized by Windows, or its the Cobalt not running?

If the Cobalt is running and just not being recognized by the Windows computer, resetting the Cobalt won't change anything. There is either a physical connection problem or a problem with the drivers on the Windows machine. Do you see all five pins on the Cobalt, and are any bent or dirty? Is the "connected" message showing up on the Cobalt's screen? Are you saying you recently downloaded the new version of the Windows software? If so, the old drivers will need to be removed and new ones installed. Does the Cobalt show up in the Windows device manager, or is it "unknown device"? If so, you need to update the driver.

Ron

After searching the internet, I found this and it works. All my dives were correctly downloaded to the Cobalt Logbook.

The solution:

step 1
Go into C:\ and create a folder called usbdriver (or it may already exist)

step 2
Go into C:\WINDOWS\INF and copy the entire contents

step 3
Paste all that into C:\usbdriver and start up the Logbook and follow the instructions on the Cobalt screen to connect the USB port.

It worked!

RonR, can you give any hints on what the window might be for seeing a wrist-mounted Cobalt variant? Over/under 1 year? :wink:

RonR, can you give any hints on what the window might be for seeing a wrist-mounted Cobalt variant? Over/under 1 year? :wink:
I certainly hope it won't be a year- there are several things in the works, but I can't provide a timeline.

Ron

Ron,

When the Cobalt is out of warranty, will Atomic replace components for a reasonable cost - such as the depth sensor? I currently have a Cobra and the depth sensor just died. From what I've read, the Cobra is now a paper weight.

Thanks,
odie

Ron,

When the Cobalt is out of warranty, will Atomic replace components for a reasonable cost - such as the depth sensor? I currently have a Cobra and the depth sensor just died. From what I've read, the Cobra is now a paper weight.

Thanks,
odie
I think you will find Atomic to be very accommodating and service oriented, but I can't speak for them as far as policy. I do know they have replaced some units that were obvious user inflicted damage, like smashed lenses. One difference is that with Atomic you are dealing with the manufacturer directly and not a distributor, as you are with Suunto- so repairs and replacements are easier.

The depth sensor in both the Cobra and in the Cobalt is a surface mount component soldered onto the board, the cost to replace it probably exceeds the value of the circuit board. Other components are more easily replaced, so it probably depends on the particular failure. Component failures (other than caused by leaks) re extremely rare.

Ron

Ron,

Do you know the type of the depth sensor (ceramic piezoresistive, ceramic capacitive, or gel filled silicon) used in the Cobalt?

Thanks,
odie

Ron,

Do you know the type of the depth sensor (ceramic piezoresistive, ceramic capacitive, or gel filled silicon) used in the Cobalt?

Thanks,
odie

It's a hybrid ceramic piezoresistive component, partly encapsulated in gel. It's internally compensated and very accurate- as you can see from looking at the atmospheric pressure shown on the System Info page.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom