Visayas Diving Itinerary--April 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nankivell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
With much help from this board, I have put together our groups plans for a 16 night trip to the Philippines--we already have our tickets on Cathay Pacific from LAX to Hong Kong to Cebu (using frequent flier miles).

While we have not made any firm reservations, here is the tentative plan:

Cebu City--1 night at Premier Citi Suites
Malapascua--4 nights with Evolution (3 days diving)
----Gotta hang at the Craic House Bar.
Bohol--4 nights at Oasis Resort (2 days diving 1 day touring the Island)
Dumaguete/Apo Island/ Siquijor--6 nights--(4 days diving 2 days touring)
----Leaning toward Liquid in Dauin for three nights and three nights at Siquijor--Coco Grove.
Cebu--1 night before heading back to LA.

I thought it best to try and stay in the Visayas rather than spending too much time traveling. The longest travel day is from Malapascua to Bohol.

Does this seem like a workable plan? Trying to do too much?

Trying to do too much? Only you and your group can decide it.
The plan is workable as long as the group is happy with those chores such as packing, unpacking, washing, drying etc etc. But you might appreciate the "proper" washing after Malapascua!!!!

Personally I wouldn't go to Malapascua first thing after flying in. The traffic can be a gnarly 4hr road trip and then the ferry across to the island. If you go first thing ie.6-30am, you can get there quickly, but as soon as peopel start going to work/school etc. the roads get choked. It could take a couple of hours just to leave northern Cebu (when I lived there in 2007).

I'd personally arrive in Cebu-Bohol-Dumaguete (skipping Siquijor) then do a trip up to Malapascua, which leaves the longest trip somewhere towards the end. IMO

Cebu to Bohol is pretty easy on a fast ferry and may be just what you need as opposed to spending the best part of the day travelling.

Glad to see you have thought about coming to dive with us nankivell. April was a good month here this year. Dauin reefs nice and warm, great vis....and Apo Island, what can I say...fantastic diving.

I would definitely recommend Malapascua (I used to work up there). And I would also put in a good shout for Evolution (from personal experience).

We seem to have a lot of crossover and it seems guests who like it here, like it at Evo, and vice versa.

If you need any info on either location drop me a line. I'm sure Matt Reed (co-owner of Evolution) will also be able to help you out in as many was as possible, and he frequents these boards quite a bit.

As for Siquijor, I believe Coco has a good reputation but there is a new resort opening up which might be worth a shout. I think the rooms are only just being finished, but it should be sweet by this time next year. If you want I'll drop you the website (not complete) and a contact for the resort.

As for Bohol, I'm really not sure, too busy diving to go somewhere else in the Philippines. I can have an ask around a few people here at the moment and see if they know of anything, or have had experience with Oasis.

Anyway, you need anything...just ask :)

All the best.
Jim

I think that's a doable plan if you're willing to accept the travel you're committing to. The problem in April is you have to book ahead so hard to change plans if you decide you want to stay longer somewhere and skip one leg because you're sick of travelling.

Personally I'd skip the Bohol leg as the Dumaguete/Apo/Siquijor part is really 2 legs by itself and I prefer that area. Or skip the Duma leg and accept that you will be back so plan another trip at that location.

Obviously you could skip the Malapascua leg and save it for another trip...but then you'd miss the Craic House :)

Good luck and enjoy.

Matt.

Your plan looks doable. I would have the Bohol island tour leg at the last part before heading back to Cebu and fly out. If I had that much time, I would go !) Malapascua, 2) Moalboal, 3) Apo Island/Siquijor, 4) Bohol.

And I will not skip going to the Craic House! Craic-key! :D

Penn

Thank you guys for the good advice. I think we may try to remain somewhat flexible (although I know that may be hard to do in April)--as I would like to see the sardines in Moalboal (if they are there)---and if we went to Moalboal--we could catch a bus or whatever down to the end of Cebu Island and a Ferry across to Dumaguete. We shall see. Will post a report following the trip---And will also post a report of our dive trip to Loreto Mexico in a couple of months.

I am in Cebu at the moment. I have just dived for 3 days in Moalboal and 3 days in Mactan. Sardines are no longer in Moalboal. There are a large school of sardines in Mactan at Marine Station and Tambuli, but the scale is not comparable to what used to be in Moalboal. Also the diving at the Nalusuan Island and Talima around Mactan is far better than I had expected. I saw a lot more big fishes than other sites around Visayas.

So I think diving Mactan for 2-3 days is another option for you. Just ten minutes' drive from Mactan-Cebu airport and you will get really good diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom