snowballs in ... well, you know ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Bob,

how long did it take hell to freeze over? About time you learn to do this properly!
:)
I look forward to diving with you after the class, I am most positive that you will love it.

Terkel

WetDane:
Hey Bob,

how long did it take hell to freeze over?

About two and a half years ... wasn't it that long ago when I asked you about that funny-looking BC and regulator you were wearing? :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
About two and a half years ... wasn't it that long ago when I asked you about that funny-looking BC and regulator you were wearing? :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

Brando tells me you're doing the class at Alki. What a beautiful place to dive! I fell in love with the view when I dove there with Uncle Pug and Shane.

Have a great class!!

Cove 2 at Alki was Bob's home (though it takes him so long to get ready he spent more time in the parking lot than in the water.... and he spent a lot of time in the water!) :wink:

Now he has a real house a half hour South... but I think he still considers Cove 2 home. :D

Yep ... Alki's my "office". I've logged over 200 dives in Cove 2. Best view of the Seattle there is. I hope you got a chance to do a night dive while you were there.

I was up late last night putting a harness together. All the pieces parts haven't arrived yet, so I'll have to cannibalize my TransPlate rig after class tonight and put a singles rig together for tomorrow's dives.

This should be interesting ... taking the class in a rig I haven't dived yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Our dive was right in the middle of the day, but you're right- there is no better place to see the Seattle skyline.

UP-
If you get a chance, make some time to go down to the class. Brando asked me last nite if you were going to be around, but I didn't know what to tell him. He's a great guy and I know he'd like to meet you.

Well, c'mon guys. How was the class???

I hesitate to say in here ... out of concern that my comments may not be taken appropriately by some. But I'll poke my head out of the hole a bit and see if it gets whacked off ...

Overall, it was a good class ... but it fell far short of my expectations. Brandon is a good instructor, and he worked us hard. But we always seemed to be three steps behind. We rushed through some things, and I'm fairly certain some things got left out altogether.

Now, mind you, my biggest disappointment was in my own failings. I made a mistake by taking the class in a rig I'd never dived before ... and never did feel right in. Frankly, my own performance sucked ... even beyond the problems I had with the rig. I've come to consider myself a decent diver, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the video ... and the video always tells the truth. It was ugly.

Team diving with two other people you've never met before has its own downsides ... and as the week-end progressed, so did my frustration level. By the last dive, I was swearing into my regulator ... and all I wanted was for the class to, mercifully, come to an end.

Beyond that, I'll leave my comments off this board till I've had a chance for a little 1-on-1 with Brandon. Our schedule didn't permit an evaluation before he headed off to the airport, and I don't think it's appropriate to dissect the class in detail here before we've had a chance to talk about it.

I will take this class again ... perhaps the most important thing I learned is that I am in no way as skilled at certain things as I thought I was, and if I'm going to teach people to dive properly I'll need to work harder at developing my own skills. I do believe there's a lot of value in this class, and would happily take it again with Brandon ... I felt very comfortable with his teaching style and knowledge. I'll just go better prepared next time ... and set more realistic expectations going in ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom