Keeping Fish on the Line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry your thread got hijacked by the buddy nazis.

My first dive after cert was also solo. It didn't go as planned, but I was safe enough. I don't regret it. About half of all my diving since cert has been solo. I spent a lot of time and money getting into it and I'm going diving! I try to get folks to go all the time. I have learned a lot from really good divers (thanks to the crew of the MV Spree!). I prefer a buddy because it's easier and we can split expenses, and it may be safer depending on who it is. So don't sweat the preachers. I suggest spearboard if you want to get away from the light weight "spearos" here.

As for your question, though, I think most anything you see you can copy. I carry a short cord with a spike on one end and a clip on the other. The spike goes through the fish, anywhere you decide really, and then back to the clip. Wildlife generally won't bother you about your catch as long as you're in control of it. I've lost many more fish to cudas than sharks, but either way they will take it when you spear it and while the fish is freaking out. Once you get control of it the other predators will watch (you can see the jealousy in their sad eyes).

I especially don't like the idea of hanging them on a long line away from you. You're attached to something that absolutely will invite a shark to grab it. In addition, the fewer long lines in the water with you the better. When rig diving some guys will tie the stringer off to the rig. Something may grab it but at least you're not attached.

You can also carry a catch bag. They are very popular in FL, especially with lobstering. I never liked them, but when I lived there, everyone had them.

Sharks, over time, may become aggressive about your stringer. The good news is that they will do so progressively and when they start you should leave the water. I find triggerfish more danger than sharks, and they are yummy too.

Good luck and happy hunting.

You should be fine. Just don't get to comfortable to fast! Spearfishing is a blast.

My buddies here use an old, barbed spearshaft for a stringer... tied to a line with a small floater that reaches up to the surface from about 20-30 feet. They swim off in any direction for 40-50 feet and can always come back. A shark may steal the fish but it won't bother you.

Bull Sharks live in shallow water off the Florida coast...IJS :D
Be cautious if spearfishing. Bull sharks are known to approach spearfishermen carrying their catch.

My buddies here use an old, barbed spearshaft for a stringer... tied to a line with a small floater that reaches up to the surface from about 20-30 feet. They swim off in any direction for 40-50 feet and can always come back. A shark may steal the fish but it won't bother you.

I like this idea. Going to experiment with this next time we dive. I can see no reason why after putting the fish on the shaft you couldn't then tuck the fish and shaft into a bag minimzing sharks taking the fish. Just close the line around the mouth of the bag. We have been hassled by sharks a lot lately.

Last edited:
You should practice scuba diving a bunch of times before spearfishing.
You should practice spearfishing with an experienced buddy before trying it alone.
And you should practice solo diving a bunch of times before you spearfish solo.
And carrying dead and bleeding fish with you on a string while diving, (in certain areas) may make for a VERY exciting dive.
Where's that video you have with the friendly bull shark?

Actually I am thinking one of the best ways to deal with the fish after shooting it, is making sure you are diving with dumpster diver, and then making it his job to carry the fish around for the rest of the dive :)
He wants exciting videos anyway, you will be helping him :)

I have little heartburn carrying dead fish around in certain areas in certain conditions. However, it is very situational dependent and the fact of the matter is that it is safer to not carry your fish.

This video shows the end of the ascent with some fish (at 1:15) on a stringer. Conditions were so nice I let it float up to the boat on a deco stop..This was over 50 miles from shore.

[video=youtube;TCZXOEnUdjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCZXOEnUdjU&feature=share&list=UU1utDku8vJ RJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom