Do you carry a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only dive with EMT shears... I did how ever recieve a dive knife as a gift but the thing is huge, like 8 inches long and to bad its only for left handed divers..

Don't carry a 'knife' but do carry 2 to 3 'dive tools' each of which has cutting ability. (form of answer is out of respect to my first instructor in 1970 who kept telling us over and over that "IT'S NOT A KNIFE... IT'S A DIVE TOOL'... )

I ALWAYS have a fold up with line cutter in my BC. As stated before, Cozumel doesn't allow knives, but I carried it anyway

I carry a shears on my belt, and two Trilobite line cutters - one on my belt and one on my computer strap on my left wrist where I should always be able to reach it if needs be. Carried a knife for a while but much harder to cut stuff with, possible to stab yourself / cut yourself, and possible for it to fall out of the holster or to tangle in something.

I have a BenchMade seatbelt cutter, can't poke yourself :wink:.

I have 2 knives, one Emt Shears and one t cutter all in different places on my rig. They stay there until I pull them to clean and dry them. I can find them by feel and know the strengths of each device. one is a small blunt tip in my golden triangle, the big pointed knife is on my weight harness on my left side because it is the last one that I would draw, the shears are on my right side of the weight harness and is number 2 to draw and the T knife is in the middle of my belly next to the buckle so it is easy to find.

I think that the key is to find what works for you stay with it and make sure you can locate it in the dark with only one hand available in a incredibly restricted movement situation.

I recently lost my dive knife. I'm thinking of replacing it with trauma shears and plus a knife. I do feel a dive knife a some back-up form of cutting tool is essential, especially in areas where fishing line, kelp or cave line can become entanglement dangers.
Is there any cheaper knife, say a ceramic non-dive knife that can take the place of a real dive knife? I hate to spend $90 on a knife I rarely use. I'd rather spend that on a knife I use everyday in the kitchen.

I recently lost my dive knife. I'm thinking of replacing it with trauma shears and plus a knife. I do feel a dive knife a some back-up form of cutting tool is essential, especially in areas where fishing line, kelp or cave line can become entanglement dangers.
Is there any cheaper knife, say a ceramic non-dive knife that can take the place of a real dive knife? I hate to spend $90 on a knife I rarely use. I'd rather spend that on a knife I use everyday in the kitchen.

Tracy there are a lot of good in expensive knives in the 25 - 30 range that will last a long time as long as they are taken care of. The less you spend the less stainless will be but that does not mean they are bad knives. You just need to rinse them and clean any rust that starts to form before it takes over the knife. My big knife is a $25.00 special it has over 250 dives on it in 2 years and shows very little wear. I want something that if I need to use it or lose it I will not be broken up about.

It is not a weapon unless you spear hunt .. if you do, you might need to stab things.

That part of padi OW book really amused me : a weapon is a weapon, even if it is not used as one.

Back
Top Bottom