Diver Death Virginia Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Services are to be held at Smith and Williams at Baxter and Princess Anne between 6-8 on Thursday 6/14. Funeral will be on friday (same place) 10 am.

If anyone has pictures of Kevin please forward them to me and we will try to include them in the service.

Thanks to everyone and dive safe. Donations are to be sent to The Wounded Warriors care of Kevin Kraemer.

Kevin and I had quite a bit of diving together before I deployed. He was always the one to get to my boat early, to bring ice, help with positioning the boat. He always stayed to help clean up later. A true friend and a good dive partner. Together we've spent more time on my boat together planning and diving off the coast than any other. He was one of the few that took the helm when I was tired and let me rest.
I am going to miss you Kevin.

Will
Special Forces Afghanistan

Kevin was a good person. I had the pleasure of diving with him a few times on Wil's boat. He will be missed.

I hadn't checked on here since I deployed in March and I was shocked to hear of the loss.

Fair winds and following seas Kevin.

Coast Guard suspends local dive boat operator in Virginia Beach, Va.

PORTSMOUTH, Va. — Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads investigators received confirmation last month that Administrative Law Judge Michael Devine agreed with the Coast Guard's arguments in a case against a local dive boat operator, resulting in the suspension of a dive boat operator's mariner credentials.

The case stemmed from a recreational diving casualty that occurred June 9, 2012, aboard the Miss Lindsey, a 48-foot commercial diving vessel, near Virginia Beach.

The diving casualty claimed the life of Kevin Kraemer, 55. Kraemer drowned while diving with a group of recreational divers off the inspected vessel Miss Lindsey.

An investigation conducted by the Coast Guard determined administrative action would be taken against the master of the vessel, Rebecca Bryson, for three acts of misconduct and one act of negligence. The judge upheld the four charges Oct. 21, 2013.

“This was very tragic incident,” said Capt. John K. Little, the commander of Sector Hampton Roads. “One of our many jobs is to investigate marine casualties, to take actions necessary to ensure the safety of our waterways and to prevent similar actions from happening in the future.”

A suspension was placed on Bryson’s merchant mariners credential for 18 months, which consists of 12 months suspension and six months of remitted probation.

Coast Guard suspends local dive boat operator in Virginia Beach, Va.

How peculiar. This result does not mesh with anything else offered in this thread.

How peculiar. This result does not mesh with anything else offered in this thread.

Very peculiar. Particularly in light of this quote:

"“The captain of the Miss Lindsey’s knowledge of the local area and professional response assisted the diver in getting medical attention in a timely manner,” said Petty Officer 1st Class Tony Johnson, a search and rescue coordinator at Sector Hampton Roads."

Diver dies after being medevaced from boat off of Virginia Beach | WTKR.com

Kevin had a heart attack! He should not have been diving. He knew about it and never told me. Coasties found medication in his home for his medical problems.

It's very unfortunate and unfair in my opinion that Becky was held accountable for his ill fated death.

This was a witch hunt from the get go from the CG. They praised the crew and capt the day that it happened. NONE of the CG were divers and know absolutely NOTHING about diving and rescue protocols of diving. I was questioned and subpeona'd for this case. They have no idea what to do in respect to diving safety and rescue protocols. They treated this as a man over board senario, not a diver rescue, which the crew was very well trained in handling. They did it by the book in every way, shape and form.

Heart attack was the reason for his death, drowning was a byproduct of sinking after the heart attack. The CG ruled it a drowning. The first guy to him was a trained life guard and could not get to his inflator on his drysuit or inflator hose because he was arms were locked up tight to his chest trying to hold onto the line they threw to him. With full tech gear weighing in at 150 lbs+ and his suit and wing were not inflated, there was no way to hold onto him on the surface.

Kevin would feel terrible that her license was suspended because of this. Hell he was riding in the cabin with her on the ride out to the Santore that day, laughing, joking and cutting up.

---------- Post added November 4th, 2013 at 08:22 PM ----------

Exactly what I was thinking. Any other details anyone could provide would be most appreciated. Was planning on going out on that boat Thanksgiving week.

Go ahead and do the dive. It had nothing to do with the crew or capt of the boat. Crew did everything humanly possible and we had a ER doctor onboard diving with us that day that was directly involved in the attempted resuscitation of Kevin. KK's button was pushed and it was his time to go.

Last edited:
I am coming to this with no knowledge of anything or anyone outside of what I am reading in the thread. I say this to bolster credentials as an impartial observer.

Here is the sentence from the article that is causing the present controversy: "An investigation conducted by the Coast Guard determined administrative action would be taken against the master of the vessel, Rebecca Bryson, for three acts of misconduct and one act of negligence. The judge upheld the four charges Oct. 21, 2013."

From reading this, it would appear as if they were able to identify three specific acts of misconduct and one act of negligence. It sounds as if they are indisputable.

Strange as it may seem, that does not contradict what others are saying in defense of Rebecca Bryson (about whom, I repeat, I know absolutely nothing). For example, let's take this sentence: “The captain of the Miss Lindsey’s knowledge of the local area and professional response assisted the diver in getting medical attention in a timely manner,” said Petty Officer 1st Class Tony Johnson, a search and rescue coordinator at Sector Hampton Roads." That could be 100% true, but it does not contradict the charges in the slightest.

Let's compare this with a totally unrelated case. More than a decade ago, a woman (Tina Watson) drowned while diving in Australia. From all reports, the crew of the dive operator (Mike Ball) did an exemplary job in trying to effect a rescue, performing CPR, summoning help, etc. After an investigation, the fact that they did such an exemplary job did not negate the fact that they had violated their own company policy requiring all divers to do a checkout dive, a dive that would have revealed that both she and her husband (her buddy) were completely incompetent divers and were unable to perform satisfactorily on that dive. The operator was punished appropriately by the courts.

I think it would be a good idea to find out what the charges actually were before declaring they were unjustified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom