I am a new diver, I was going to buy this package on Ebay. is it a good deal or junk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandos

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Cressi Air Travel BC | Cressi Sub Archimede II Computer Console | Cressi MC9 Ellipse
Balanced Regulator | Cressi Ellipse Octopus for $1200

or if I should get a set without the computer and maybe get a Suunto Cobra with one of the following.

1) EXCEL SPORT BCD, DIAPHRAGM REGULATOR, 2ND STAGE OCTOPUS, SYNTEC MINI 2 GAUGE , ROLLER BAG for $564.00
2) Cressi Start BCD, Cressi Mini 2 Gauge Console (Imperial), Cressi XS2/AC2 Piston Regulator, Cressi XS Octopus for $600.00

3) OceanPro BCD in Medium, Alpha 8 Sport Regulator, First Stage SP5 non DVT, Yoke Alpha 8 Octo, Veo 1.0 Console for $800

I am a poor man, but I want to be safe, but also frugal.

Mandos

All those options are great for diving and safe. It all depends on personal preference and how much you wanna spend for some more bells and whistles.

What kinda dives are you planning on doing?

Well, let me answer your question with a question. What kind of dives are there?

I would like to see marine life like fish, sharks, dolphins and coral. I would love to go through caves and sunken ships but I also understand I might be wise to get some dives in my log book first.

Odds are they will all work fine for any diving you will be doing in the near future. Wreck penetration and cave diving is a totally different subject and one you will need a lot more gear for. There is a very good chance all the stuff will come in a box unassembled leaving you to figure out how to assemble and to do the inital test to see if it is functioning correctly. Are you prepaired to do that?? For an experienced reg tech it's no big deal but for a new diver it's not the best plan. Odds are a local shop may will do it for you but it's also likely they will charge you a good bit for the service work, something that would come with the purchase price at the same shop.
Personally, I would recommend a different approch. Find a good used BC locally (Craigs list or the paper) they can be had for $100+/- most of the time, buy a mid ranged reg no frills reg from a local shop and skip the computer all together. BCs can be found cheap and are easy to determine their condition. A mid ranged reg purchased from a local shop (or they may have a good used one that has been serviced) will come assembled and tested plus you have have them for support. It's much more likely they will help with your used BC if you just purchased a reg from them. As for the computer, a simple console, watch and the tables will work fine. Odds are you will be keeping the dives shallow and easy for a while (and you should) so a computer is not really a big help. You can always add it later.

You can get some other gear that will perform just as well or even better if you check out Subgear products. Designed and distributed by scubapro but at a less expensive price

I would shop around, the thing about Ebay is that you will not have the warrantee that comes with the equipment... IMO, though I am somewhat new to diving, the warrantee is fairly important to save money on parts during the annual service.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom