Aussie diving - June 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great video.

I christened my new nikon d7000 on the weekend. I have been shooting with a NEX 5 but got sick of waiting for lenses. It was weird using a viewfinder but it I was starting to get the hang of it by the end of the dive.

pygmy-squid by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

tassled-angler by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

Strobeless I take it Bfowles, what lens are you shooting there 105mm or 60mm?
The angler looks the bizz!
Love the view finder, so much quicker to focus and shoot, playing games with lcd screens IMHO!

Keep safe Alcina.. we will miss you!

Hi ozzydamo,

I was using stobes but was using a fast shutter speed and f18 + to get a black background as these were taken during the day.

Byron
I'll give those settings a go, I just got a YS-D1 and I have been shooting all strobe less myself, be another thing to learn how to operate properly.

You got some beaut looking photos on flicker is that all shot with the D7000?

Cheers,
Damon ps- This one was particularly impressive, fab colours Byron!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/byronfowles/6305075121/in/photostream/lightbox/

Thanks Damon, most were shot with an NEX 5 which I only replaced a few weeks ago with the D7000. The YS-D1 sounds like a good strobe, you will start to see better colours in your shots.

---------- Post added ----------

I went diving on Saturday night unfortunately the viz was bad and there was a strong current.

sand-octopus by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

seahorse-pregnant-male-pipefish by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

Love the shots bf! Nice to get two interesting critters together and in focus!

We dived Clifton Gardens on Sunday in spite of the rain. What can I say. I was desperate to get a dive in! Managed to convince my poor long suffering hubby to humour me. He hates diving in the rain esp winter time. Seas have been high and viz was pretty average. I wanted to try out the GoPro he gave me for my birthday.. so it was partially his fault :)

One of those dives where nothing seems to want to go right but we got an hour in so I should survive the week now!

Not as much at the site as normal. Lots of seahorses, small cuttles and baby octopus.

600C-751cSmall.jpg

600C-723cSmall.jpg

600C-748cSmall.jpg

600C-744cSmall.jpg

---------- Post added ----------

oops forgot the baby octopus
finger in the frame for size reference
600C-757cSmall.jpg

600C-759cSmall.jpg

600C-756cSmall.jpg

enjoy your trip and be safe :)

Back