Water getting into the nose section of my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just went into the pool to test out my mask and fins before an upcoming dive, and the bottom of my mask kept taking in some water around my nose. The strap was not too tight and nothing seemed to be breaking the seal, my hair or anything else. I cleared it and it would come back in small amounts.

What could be causing the water to get into the nose part of my mask?

Thanks.

Do you have a mustache or beard?
I have a mustache and I have to trim at the nose or I get leaks.
You could pull the mask tighter but you may get "mask squeeze" at depth if you do.
Clearing my mask is not an issue and I have to clear at least once during a 60 minute dive.
Perhaps, try a different style mask and see if the leak goes away.
I presume the mask is clean and free of debris.

I do not have a mustache or beard, and I have used this mask on about 10 dives and multiple times in a pool, and never had this problem before though during my last dive about a year ago I had this problem, though I thought it may have had something to do with the GoPro strapped to my head. There is no debris that I can see either. I can clear it, though the water seems to come right back in small amounts shortly after...

Have you sucked in through your nose with the mask on to completely verify the seal? Maybe there's something that you can't see.

Try tightening the strap a little bit more. I used to have leaks that I had to clear constantly until I tightened my mask to a better fit.

Last edited:
More like the strap is to tight. Sometimes masks have days when they leak a little, it will probably stop leaking in a couple of dives. You should not need any more than light finger pressure to seal a mask under water. If it keeps leaking dump it and get a new one its just not worth the hastle. Another tip, replace the rubber strap with a neoprene slap-strap and velcro adjusters. soooo much better.

Also nose breathing will break the seal. If you have a fogging issue, the mystery is solved- you are breathing some tout your nose. If this is not the problem, apply a small amount of silicon grease around the entire mask skirt. It will help alot.
DivemasterDennis

I see a few suggestions about making the mask tighter. Not advised. Too tight of a mask will leak more than one that is just sitting on your face. The strap does not hold the mask on your face. It merely holds it in position. Pressure is what keeps it on your face. Mask squeeze has little or nothing to do with how tight it is. Squeeze comes from not being able to equalize it. Equalize your mask by simple exhaling a bit through the nose or clearing it. Those by the way are the only times you should be breathing out of your nose. It is possible that the go pro is interfering. How is it reacting with the mask strap? If it is forcing it down lower you can expect it to leak since the strap should ideally be around the widest point of your noggin. The strap slipping down or being forced lower will pull on the top of the mask loosening the lower seal casuing it to leak. I see this a lot with the girls I teach in my Girl Scout snorkeling programs. Many have pony tails and try to put the strap under it instead of lowering the origin of the pony or threading it through the mask strap. It slips down too far and they get leaks. The type of strap you use will not matter if it is not in the correct position.

Why is the go pro on your head anyway? Are you wearing it mounted on a helmet? Why not just carry it? On your head is a good place to have it snag something or get knocked off unless you are very careful.

I have found that if I inadvertently place the mask strap a little too low on the back of my head, my mask will leak at the nose. You might try experimenting with that.

It might just be a fact that your mask is the wrong shape for your face. A correctly fitting mask does not need to be tightened to excess.

Back
Top Bottom