work permit for the caribbean ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azwarian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
hi guys,

im planning on heading to the caribbean around october of this year and cruise around working for a year or two :cool2:

my destination will either be the caymans, utila or bahamas.

i was wondering if anyone is able to shed any information in regards to work permits and how long they take to process?

eg. if i decide on the caymans, is it best to get a work permit first (im australian) or apply once i secure a job and have found employment? :confused:

any advice or recommendations would be muchly appreciated.

many thanks in advance :D

hi guys,

im planning on heading to the caribbean around october of this year and cruise around working for a year or two :cool2:

i was wondering if anyone is able to shed any information in regards to work permits and how long they take to process?

eg. if i decide on the caymans, is it best to get a work permit first (im australian) or apply once i secure a job and have found employment? :confused:

any advice or recommendations would be muchly appreciated.

many thanks in advance :D

In the Cayman Is., you do not get the work permit; your employer does. So, you must have the job first.

The time they take to process varies according to various factors. I have seen one issued in a week and have seen one that took 2 months.

Good Luck!

ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up Alex, appreciate the help mate!! :)

Similar here in the Bahamas Az. It's fairly tightly policed too. We had an Immigration raid on my job site just a month ago. They took away four people who were without papers. Naturally, my best workers.

What industry are you in? There is a "circuit" for dive instructors that kinda runs through here. Certainly, I know more than a handful of expat instructors that have gone to or come from Cayman Is. and one who came through Utila.

for sure mate, depending where you go it sounds pretty official and well policed hence why I'd like to sort it out now before I leave :wink:

im in the diving industry as well and am currently discussing things with a potential employer in the caymans so fingers crossed all goes well !!

for sure mate, depending where you go it sounds pretty official and well policed hence why I'd like to sort it out now before I leave :wink:

im in the diving industry as well and am currently discussing things with a potential employer in the caymans so fingers crossed all goes well !!

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Why would a permit be necessary for a DM who works for tips only - thus ca$h ?

I can see why an instructor w/salary would.

Any kind of work here is against the law unless you are Caymanian, a Permanent Resident, or have a work permit. That is pretty common throughout the Caribbean. It is necessary (IMHO) to ensure that locals are not shut out of the job market. I am not aware of any DMs here who work only for tips: you need a salary to pay the rent.

:D

FYI: Three completely separate countries and governments - thus three completely separate sets of rules.

Sweet! Well good luck!
If you ever head this way (New Providence, Bahamas), i think the largest employers for expats would be Stuart Coves or perhaps the liveaboards (Black Beards/Aqua Cat etc)
Hope it works out for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom