Wetsuit Recommendation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am quite sure that this thread was not at all helpful to you. I will try to make it even worse.

When I first started diving in Cozumel, it was in the summer. I always used a 0.5mm full suit, and it was just fine. When that wore out, I used a 3mm full suit, and that was just fine. In March, I would sometimes prefer a 5mm or a 3mm suit with a hood. I have two very experienced friends who always wear 7mm suits in Cozumel.

So there you have it. She should use something between a 0.5mm and 7mm suit, depending upon how she deals with the cold.

Hope that helps.

(FWIW, most people I see there use 3mm. I never wear a shorty because I want all my skin surface protected from things that sting.)

Full 3mm and might consider a hooded vest to layer after repetetive dives. I find this the most flexible combination. I can usually use a shorty for a few dives, but then get progressively colder.

The ideal combination is a Full Lavacore Fleece which has about 2.5 mil equivalent warmth YET NO Buoyancy change with depth. Oceanic as well as others sell Lavacore. That will be good for May to October for most anyone in the 82-86 F water. In the colder winter months at 78-80 F, add a three mil shorty over it and you will be just fine.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I have seen one case where a person wearing a skin apparently attracted a reef shark of some sort into a swim through. Then the shark left. The departure is considered due to residual knee high black sock fibers on the diver following the skin clad diver in front.

I'm here in Coz right now (don't be jealous!) and figured I'd delurk to answer this.

I generally get pretty cold. I've been wearing a full 3mm with a 5 mm hooded vest. I went without the vest one day and was fine on the first dive, chilly on the second. So I've worn the vest for every dive since then and I've been perfectly comfortable. For perspective, I was measured at 20% body fat a couple of months ago. I'd say it's gone up a point or two lately though. ;-)

Hope that helps!

i use a 3/2 shortie when i am there over skin

Exposure protection is a very personal thing. While some people are comfortable in a bathing suit in eighty degree water, others require a full 5mm suit. You can always get cooler by letting water into the suit, you can't get warmer (nicturation is fleeting). IMHO, a 3mm or 3/2 would be a good starting point for your daughter. Throw in a hood or hooded vest for cheap thermal insurance.

Thank you for all the responses. It looks like I will be getting her the 3mm and a hooded vest just in case. Also I did not know gloves are banned in Cozumel. Thanks again

I like options. A partially zipped 3mm full suit works for very warm. Zipped for warm. I recently picked up a Bare 1mm and and Lavacore fullsuits I'll be bring to Coz for Invasion. We'll be snorkeling with the whale sharks also, so I may bring a shorty, or 1mm hooded vest too.

I was there the first week in May, water temps 78 or so, and I was fine with a 5mm suit. I added a hooded vest for the caves.

Back
Top Bottom