Learning to pilot a small boat in near coastal waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweaver40

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, there is a lot of good information here on how to become a captain academically but I can't find much about how somebody who is starting out with no experience like myself would learn to safely pilot or even function as a deckhand for a small < 50ft dive boat in near coastal waters. I know experience has got to be a huge part of this but surely there are highly qualified captains and schools that teach beginners hands on how to safely pilot a boat including doing it in "rough" seas. I have been in enough small dive boats in bad weather to know the captain can make a big difference in the beating the boat and passengers take. Are there good practical hands on schools out there and how long realistically would it take to learn the skills enough to take out a typical small dive boat on the ocean < 10 miles and deal with with the weather turning bad? I am looking at working in the recreational dive industry and obviously this is a skill that would be a huge plus.

Thanks

Don't forget learning to dock a single screw boat in tight quarters with the wind against you

Chapmans Pioting, Seamanship and Boat Handling is a good book to get started

Hands on training is provided by the Chapman School of Seamanship

http://www.chapman.org/

Yes, I don't know enough to even worry about the things I don't know like docking a boat. :). Thanks for the information I will look into it.

Great advise on the Chapmans info.... get a copy of the book, read it a few times..... and keep it on the boat. It covers EVERYTHING!!!!

I started on an 18 foot boat on inland waters and ended up on a 31 foot boat doing open sea trips of over 300 miles. Although studying books such as Chapman's is helpful nothing takes the place of actual boat handling experience. Along the way I got a 6 pack license but it wasn't until I had 15 years of small boat handling and went through a four hour storm with 50 to 70 MPH winds and 12 to 15 foot seas did I finally feel I had arrived as a seaman.

There is really nothing like hands on. I would recommend approaching one of your local Captains explaining your intentions and ask them for advice and training. be willing to work with them for nothing and as well possibly paying them.. You need a great deal of experience to get your Six Pack/Pax or Near Coastal license. It took me several years to get enough logged experience....

Cheers,
Roger

I had a mate once whose dad told him, if you want to learn to really run a boat, go to Louisiana. You'll F-up the boat, tear $h1+ up, run agound, but they will teach you to run a boat.

Pretty good advice. That guy did all of those things and went on to get tolerably good at running boats.

I very much wouldn't recommend the Power Squadron or the Auxilliary classes. They are taught by yachties who read the book. (now begins the hate mail)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom