OUPV - 6 Pack, Checklist and some questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lds922

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just trying to get a basic rundown of what I need in the way forms, etc...For this license.

My understanding of what is needed:

-719B form (general application)
-719K form (physical exam)
-719S form (sea service form, 360 days total - 90 days within 3 years)
-TWIC card
-3 letters of recommendation
-first aid (within 1 year)
-CPR (current)

-Pass Examination or Course Completion Certificate.

-Am I missing anything?

Questions:

On the checklist from the USCG website at the very bottom there is a section labeled "Commercial Assistance Towing" with a check box for completing CG exams or approved course. I am confused as to what this is and is it and additional exam requirement, or part of the original exam?

Do the letters of recommendation need to be notarized? Also, maybe a stupid question, but do the 3 individuals need to be licensed or in some way 'qualified' to give the recommendation (documentation of qualifications?)?

I own my own boat, what documentation is required on the Sea Service Form to prove this? (copy of Title/Registration enough?)

I know that the course are very popular, but can I just go to the CG REC and take the exam (maybe not that simple, but the idea of it anyway). I have "The Coast Guard License, Six Pac To Master - 100 Ton" book by Budd Gonder as a reference, which I have seen is highly touted as an exam prep...I am a great test taker and have a good 'nautical knowledge base' from many years of fishing and diving. I am I being too confident in myself?

It is hard to find any information or just a general rundown of what is need on the web. I am hoping someone with experience can point me in the right direction as I start this process.

Thanks in advance!

-Logan Summers

I think if you own the boat the registration is enough but the form has to be properly completed and hours documented as required on the form instructions. Not sure about the book you are reading but I am in the MLS OUPV 6 pack school. I thought I was a good test taker and had good nautical knowledge until I started this program. I have been on the water most of my life and found out how little I really knew once I started the course. There are alot of technical play on words, etc that the govt. uses. The course brings these out as well as opportunities to practice the tests prior to taking them with opportunities to review your responses. I am not breezing through this like I did in college but expect to pass after studying all the material and watching the videos, etc. The reports manager and numerous study aids help me to improve each time I review the units.

I think if you own the boat the registration is enough but the form has to be properly completed and hours documented as required on the form instructions. Not sure about the book you are reading but I am in the MLS OUPV 6 pack school. I thought I was a good test taker and had good nautical knowledge until I started this program. I have been on the water most of my life and found out how little I really knew once I started the course. There are alot of technical play on words, etc that the govt. uses. The course brings these out as well as opportunities to practice the tests prior to taking them with opportunities to review your responses. I am not breezing through this like I did in college but expect to pass after studying all the material and watching the videos, etc. The reports manager and numerous study aids help me to improve each time I review the units.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't ruling out taking a course at all, just wanted some insight from those who have experience.

Really I want to see if the checklist I have includes everything that is needed... Then I will worry about how I'm actually going to do it :)

This isn't something I need to do, it's just something I want to do....so I'm in no rush and I'm open to ideas.

The advantage of taking the class is that you wont take the test at the CG, which eliminates the need to set up an apointment & for most of us there is less "stress" testing at the school. Also, the schools know exactly what is on the test and do not waist time teaching you things that you don't need to know. I strongly recommend that any class that can be completed at a school, and avoids CG testing, be done at a school.

Your list looks good. The letters of recommendation don't need to be notarized.

The schools have a limited question pools (usually less than 500 possible for Rules of Road), the CG has an extremely large possible question pool for Rules of the Road, Nav, and Deck Gen.

The CG gives credibility to the fact that you're sitting in the classes and learning.

The Commercial Assist Towing was relatively easy, and is a matter of taking an additional test.

I recently completed the course at MPT, and pretty much aced all of my tests... I would highly recommend a professional school vs doing it yourself and going to the CG. However. It CAN be done by going to a Coast Guard test facility, and it is considerably cheaper.

If you plan to upgrade and get a license, then I recommend that you take the test at the REC. If this is the only credential you want, then go ahead and take the class and "buy" you license from the school. They will drill you on the questions, rather than teach you the material.

If you're upgrading later (past 200 gt) then you must exam at the coast guard and this is your first chance to practice in the exam room with a very simple exam.

Otherwise, it looks like you're set. I'm not sure if you need recommendations for oupv or not. They are only required for a license, and oupv isn't considered a license really. But toss em in... When our hands at work have questions, I tell them to ask for the moon and send it in; make them turn you down for something and they will send you a dificiency letter with what else you need.

Good luck.

-dennis

Jon,

I just passed the MLS course and USCG test administered by MLS. This is for OUPV and I am being required to get a TWIC card. It seems fairly simple as long as you have a passport or the listed documentation. You can pre register and make an appointment online

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom