snaps - tell me why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you guys zip tie the bolt snaps on to everything ...//...

I'm all over the place in this thread, -hoping the OP doesn't see this as a hijack.

Zipties are excellent for securing mouthpieces, but good for little else other than quick fixes. Get a copy of "the Morrow guide to KNOTS". Or if you are really into this, go for the "bible". (the Ashley Book of Knots.)

Use heavy cave line. Sometimes inner tube left-overs work well...

View attachment 126389

I usually use nylon (cave) line but I swap some SPG's between rigs so I also have clips with a small loop of bungie. Doubled up, the bungie holds the hose firmly but it can also be removed easily.

When I was cold water diving I prefered spinnaker shackles. But they are pricey. Here in the tropics I've gone to the much cheaper snaps ... except where I need something to be able to release under load.

Same crap never to use underwater, only in stainless.

Actually those butterfly snaps have some legitimate applications underwater ... you've probably just never been exposed to them.

Blanket statements like "never to use underwater" really bother me ... especially coming from someone with limited diving experience ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added ----------

JamesK,

After my last post I realized you're a cave diver. If I was a diving caves I wouldn't use butterflies either (now).

I know some pretty experienced cavers who use them for the bottom clip on sidemount tanks. They clip into buttplate rails, gate in ... facing your ass. If your tanks are positioned properly, you'd have to be lap-dancing the line to get it even close to the clip ... and even then it'd be damn near impossible to get it inside the gate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I was cold water diving I prefered spinnaker shackles. But they are pricey. Here in the tropics I've gone to the much cheaper snaps ... except where I need something to be able to release under load.

that is exactly the type of answer I was looking for (and some did the same outside this thread).

I'm all over the place in this thread, -hoping the OP doesn't see this as a hijack.

Zipties are excellent for securing mouthpieces, but good for little else other than quick fixes. Get a copy of "the Morrow guide to KNOTS". Or if you are really into this, go for the "bible". (the Ashley Book of Knots.)

Use heavy cave line. Sometimes inner tube left-overs work well...

View attachment 126389

Experience backed and thought out comments related to the issue at hand are always welcome. Unfounded blanket statements are useless. Keep posting them here!

I dive cold water exclusively wearing smurf gloves with liners too. As some others mentioned I've brought my skills up to deal with the better equipment.

Buddy....what exactly do you mean by this statement?

So, people should take advice from guys that actually had to work on their skills to use a bolt snap?

Here's a hint, if you are going to take a cheap shot at those who have no issue using brass snaps by inferring that brass snap users do not know how to use a stainless snap, then try to make your point without wiping out your own credibility.

Well said. I believe it's known as "Pompous".

Actually those butterfly snaps have some legitimate applications underwater ... you've probably just never been exposed to them.

Blanket statements like "never to use underwater" really bother me ... especially coming from someone with limited diving experience ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know some pretty experienced cavers who use them for the bottom clip on sidemount tanks. They clip into buttplate rails, gate in ... facing your ass. If your tanks are positioned properly, you'd have to be lap-dancing the line to get it even close to the clip ... and even then it'd be damn near impossible to get it inside the gate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are right. They do have some applications underwater, I just prefer not to use them. Also, if installed properly on a d-ring or handle, something getting snagged in them is pretty hard to do. I know quite a few guys who use them and love them. Just not my cup-o-tea.

As for the brass/SS argument, I have cut the crap out of my fingers on both. I own both. I just prefer the SS because to me it seems that a good quality stainless steel operates smoother. Again, personal opinion.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Mike

. . . you'd have to be lap-dancing the line to get it even close to the clip ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

While that's an interesting "visual" I'm still not going anywhere near a cave. Look up claustrophobic on Wikipedia and they have a picture of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom