Lost on the Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeynl

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In May I went alone to Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt to do some diving. I only had 11 dives under my belt (and was only Padi OW certified), and wanted to do a few easy dives first, then try to go for my Advanced OW course (deep, navigation, drift, night and peak performance buoyancy). The first dives went OK, but the drift dive at Jackson Reef was a bit scary, strong currents, also up and down currents, and part of the dive the instructor had to hold me not to float off.

The days after my diving improved considerably and a few days later we were back at Jackson Reef. This time it was my instructor, a Danish couple and me. The dive went absolutely perfect, still strong currents but I had no problem at all. This problems started when we came up. We had started at the dive site at the south end of Jackson reef, and had drifter too far up north along the east side of the reef.

Turned out that the tide was coming in fast, and the sea was extremely choppy. The boat tried to throw us a rope, but the pull of that burnt into our hands and left 2 of my fellow divers with bleeding hands. And the pull was very scary as it pulled us under and it felt like it would pull my mask off. By that time I was did not have much air left at all, something like 100 psi. We tried to get onto the boat a second time, got really exhausted from pulling towards the boat, then realized the boat was tilting far too dangerously to get on it, and at a third effort the pull was just too strong, and we had to let go.

The boat left us. So we were just left alone with reasonably high waves, no SMB, and the waves were crashing over us, so we often needed to used our regulator for air. We also dropped our weights to get higher on the water. I'm still overcoming my fear of water (which is at it's worst above water in waves, but seems to disappear under water, especially when there's loads of stuff to see), and in the back of my mind the idea of 2 of my fellow divers seriously bleeding in waters known for sharks didn't help. The first was in a state of shock, and the guy was quite panicked too, and kept telling me not to let him go.

We drifted for what seemed like an hour, but was probably half that, until we saw a reef, Kormoran Reef (about one mile away from where we came up). The reef was still quite far away, but as we swam backwards as we could see the waves coming at us, I lied to the girl about the distance just to calm her down. We split into two groups to try to swim towards the reef, me and the guy and the instructor and the girl. Then when we got close the guy an I split as well to make the swimming earlier. Scared the hell out of me to be alone in the sea, and you could not see the reef, just a little light on top of it.

As soon as I got near the reef the waves started to get choppier and break, and crashed me onto the coral reef several times. I was wearing a long suit, but the girl didn't and was left with loads of bleeding scratches. I managed to swim down a bit further where the waves were manageable, and I could finally just stand up for a few minutes to catch my breath. I must have broke a few bit of coral, but I think it was ok in that situation. At the reef we saw a little boat that finally picked up and brought us back to the boat. All my fellow passengers had minor injuries, and only I was left mostly unharmed apart from a few tiny scratches.

Afterwards I wondered. Was this a mistake from the instructor who should have known the currents better? Were we actually in serious danger, or were we ok with our BCDs? Should the boat have had a different option to pick us out of the waves (a small boat would have worked)? And how can I get in touch with my fellow divers? Our trip was organized as an all in package, and I found my instructor on FaceBook but his settings are such that I can't contact him. I'd really like to chat to the Danish could as a way to put this behind me, but in all the panic we forgot to exchange names and contact details properly.

The dive left some emotional marks, but it also made me stronger, as I didn't panic much in the open sea, while 2 years ago I was even to afraid to cross a pool. And the Danish thanked me for staying calm and looking after them. I didn't dive the same day anymore (couldn't as all the other divers hand bandages on and stuff), but was back in the water the next day, and even did my first cave dive. Have booked another trip too (Sipadan/Mabul and Similan Islands!) so it hasn't stopped me from diving. What does't kill you makes you stringer they say. And I'll definitely buy and SMB.

Attachments

• 527672_10150889953342010_46598583_n.jpg
    527672_10150889953342010_46598583_n.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,357
Sounds very scary. Glad you came out ok. Why were you diving without no SMB,...??

I can't comment on whether the boat staff could or should have known about conditions. I do know the Red Sea can have some very strong currents, and I think people who dive there should be prepared for that. There were a couple of things in the story that stood out for me -- one has already been mentioned, and that is the lack of a signaling device. I never, ever get off a boat without an SMB, and in places where we're going to be very far offshore, I add an audible signaling device (for me, a DiveAlert) and a mirror. And I always have at least one light with me (or I always have had; I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the Socorros, where lights are forbidden).

Another thing is that you were on the surface with only 100 psi in your tank. I dive with the concept of "rock bottom", which means I reserve enough gas to get me and a buddy to the surface from wherever we are. This usually results in getting to the boat with significantly more than 500 psi; surfacing with that much gives you a LOT of time to cope with choppy surface conditions, if you have to.

Did you ever find out why the boat, in addition to abandoning that particular attempt to reboard you, abandoned you altogether? Unless the boat was in imminent danger of being swamped and sinking, I think that's unconscionable. It's one thing to leave when you've been unable to FIND your divers, but it's something altogether to leave divers when you know darned well where they are. I would not have used that operator again under any circumstances.

When I was a very new diver, I read an account of an instructor who got separated from his group in the Galapagos, and surfaced where several currents converged. He was not visible from the boat, could not breathe well due to chop and found his snorkel useless. He had an EPIRB, but couldn't get to it to turn it on. He did (obviously) survive the experience, but it made a big impression on me, and I have been extremely cautious anywhere where the likelihood of strong currents is high. Glad you all had the intestinal fortitude to swim to shore -- that had to be one long, stressful experience.

Seems to me you did very well especially with a fear of water as you stated. Keep running this over in your mind for things that you'd do differently if it happened again.
Maybe consider toting a SMB as part of your standard kit. This experience will make you a better diver if you use it to that end. Others poo-poo it but I wear a snorkle on every dive, never know when you'll find yourself drifting on the surface low or out of air. Right?

Hi mikeynl

That sounds bad, but it probably wasn't as bad as it felt. In the last couple of years I have probably dived Jackson reef about 5-6 times, but I haven't had problems with getting back on the boat like that.

One thing I will note is that generally we have only dived Jackson when there isn't the currents/wind as we have been told that it is very, very difficult to pick up in those conditions and I am really surprised that you dived there.

Also I know that a lot of divers in the red sea don't carry SMBs as the day dives tend to be follow the leader type and divers for that reason decide they don't need one, (I didn't until I had a moment in the Maldives, now I won't get in the water without one) what surprises me is that the instructor didn't have one. I don't know who you dived with but there are some good outfits in Sharm who would have treated you better, I think.

I have only met one other 'dive leader' without a SMB, this was in Taba Heights, Red Sea and the guide got lost then called the dive, but had no way to let the boat know, or to let anyone above us in open sea know that we were surfacing. I sent mine up and it was a few mins before we were picked up. Back on the boat I had a few words with the 'dive leader' and his excuse was that the boat always knows where they are going to be at the end of dive, even if you get lost and end it 30 minutes early? Sometimes individuals logic is hard to get.

Good to know you're getting back in the water, choose your dive outfits carefully and learn how to deploy that SMB! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About the SMB: as I said I'm a pretty new diver, and the only equipment I own is a mask and my snorkel. I had only done 11 dives before that holiday (4 a year and a half ago for my OW course, and 7 about six months ago in the Caribbean). All dives had been super easy exits, and the same about the dives before that I Egypt, no waves, and exits near the boat. I was a bit surprised that even at the drift dive in my AOW course there was no SMB, as the manual explicitly talks about having one, but again a very easy exit. It's the next piece of equipment I'm gonna buy tho.

By the way, there were 2 other quite experienced divers doing a dive from the same boat at the same site that day, and they got lost too and couldn't get pulled out of the water by our own boat and had to wait for a smaller boat. They still managed to swim to Jackson Reef tho. We didn't swim to the shore either, we ended up on Kormoran Reef, which is still totally submerged and more than a mile still from the coast. If there hadn't been a beacon on that reef we would have never seen in in those waves. By the way, below is a map of Jackson Reef. We follow the track on the map, but ended up a bit past the end point. I think it was simply a very strong tide coming up really fast.

07_Jackson_Reef.jpg

And here's another map including both reefs. It's clear that the currents at Grafton passage (being both very narrow and relatively shallow) can get very strong.

map02.jpg

The boat left us as there was simply no way to get us out of the water. Actually the people on the boat later told me that they were really scared as the boat felt like it was keeling over. I'm sure it was fine, but it looked like an extremely bumpy ride for them and they had quite a few people on the boat (mostly snorkellers).

About the 100psi: I might have had a bit more, but I do tend to be the first one out of air, and I the thing scaring me the most was running out of air while getting totally exhausted. I tried to use the regulator only for the really big waves but the smaller ones crashing over me really tired me out. I had also used the regulator when they tried to pull me to the boat.

---------- Post added ----------

AfterDark, I totally agree about learning lessons:

- I might not dive a lot, but I'm definitely gonna buy an SMB. And I'm gonna try it out on the first dive I do!

- Same about the snorkel. I actually remember that before the dive I was thinking if a snorkel was really necessary, my instructor didn't have one, and mine felt more like a burden than something useful. Was pretty happy at the end of the dive that I had one! Will never dive without one.

- I would not hold on to the rope as long as it did. The boat tried to pull us away, and we tried to pull ourselves to the boat, but without gloves there was no way we were gonna hold the rope, and with tjose waves there was not a chance of getting onto the boat, so the whole exercise was pointless.

- I will also check Dive Centers BEFORE I book with them. This one was part of a package holidays, but looking back maybe they weren't too serious & safe. I'm actually a bit alarmed by the quality of some of the PADI resorts, I've only dived with 6 centers so far, and would only dive again with 2 of them (on Aruba & Bonaire). At the school I took my OW course the instructor hardly spoke English, while in advance I had told the dive center that I'd probably need more attention cause I was afraid of water. This caused quite some stress and an aggravated instructor (cos I didn't have a clue what he wanted from me), which didn't help me to relax. In Panama I had an instructor who picked bits off the reef and teased the lion fishes.

- The most important lesson tho is that I actually reacted calmer than expected. I had had a few other times before when things didn't go quite right and I managed to stay calm, but during this incident I impressed myself. I came to do the advanced course, but I learnt more than I came for. It actually makes me feel much more at ease in the water.

---------- Post added ----------

sjwite26... looking back it was quite surprising we dived at Jackson Reef. I looked at a map with all the dives sites near Sharm, and there's 3 categories of dives sites: 1=OW, 2=AOW, 3=very experienced, and Jackson Reef falls in the 3rd type. And they let me do my deep dive of my AOW course there. That dive was pretty hard, the instructor had to pull me up a few times as there were down currents (first time that happened I felt really scared as I just couldn't stop from going down, and 2 guys had to drag me up ... still I stayed pretty calm), and then 2 days later we were back. And I read about Kormoran Reef - the one we ended up on - that people simply don't dive there as the currents are almost always to strong.

Fortunately I'm a very conservative diver due to my fear, and cos of that I also read up as much as I can (booked like Diver Down & Safe Diving) as I feel more relaxed when I know more.

Scary. Did you not have gloves on? They should have been able to motor very slowly when you were holding the rope so it did not pull too hard. I cannot figure out why they left, unless they were about to sink. Do not give up diving. I was lost at sea once for 90 minutes when our boat broke the anchor and disappeared in a huge storm. I notice that you did more dives after this, that is the best thing to do.

You'll be just fine. The experience you had would have panicked some people that AREN'T afraid of the water. You didn't. Panic is the last thing we do. Next time if there is, you'll probably be the coolest of the bunch! The more comfortable you are in the water the faster you'll learn and the easier it'll be to think through problems. Go for it, work on it.

Last edited:
OH my god. Im so scared reading your story what comes in your mind that you dive without SMB?

Very scary!! One red flag for me that hasn't been addressed was an instructor found on facebook with no other way to contact him.

Back
Top Bottom