Best place in the world to see a whale shark October 2012?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oslob, in Cebu Philippines. I went there last Monday and scuba dived with them for 2 hours. Its just a short shore dive to where they are. They're quite tame and are not afraid of humans.

Best to go there during a weekday and avoid public holidays.

I posted some photos of them on facebook.

Go to the Philippines I think in subic there is a whale shark.

The highest concentration of whale sharks in the world is in a place in Southern Mozambique. Fact. Next best bet would be the Maldives then Galapagos.
email me if you want more info bentdiver@live.com

1) sogod bay,southern Leyte, philippines- between nov and April they are usually in the bay and relatively easy to find, every 3-4yrs they don't show up or are less in number for some reason. They are usually mid sized to smaller ones.

2) cenderawasih bay, PNG, resident whale sharks attracted by local fishermen by looks of it. Good sizes too by looks of things

3) Galapagos, Maldives, Egypt, Honduras all have spots

4) Mozambique and Djibouti are high concentration areas as stated.

Oslob, in Cebu Philippines. I went there last Monday and scuba dived with them for 2 hours. Its just a short shore dive to where they are. They're quite tame and are not afraid of humans.

Oslob in the Visayas is definitely a hot spot for whale shark interactions right now. Our guests reported seeing 8 sharks at one time during their trip last week. The whale shark interactions are also being properly regulated by the local municipalities with guidance from marine conservationists to ensure the interaction is safe and enjoyable for both snorkeler and shark!

---------- Post Merged at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Oslob in the Visayas is definitely a hot spot for whale shark interactions right now. Our guests reported seeing 8 sharks at one time during their trip last week. The whale shark interactions are also being properly regulated by the local municipalities with guidance from marine conservationists to ensure the interaction is safe and enjoyable for both snorkeler and shark!

Holbox and Isla Mujeres, near Cancun, are both guaranteed whale-shark encounters this time of year. Bummer is, the diving up there could be better. I'd recommend spending a week or so in Cozumel, where the diving is seriously world class, and enjoying a daytrip up to Isla for the whaleshark encounter. For scubadiving, there's really nothing better in the Caribbean than Cozumel, and nothing better for whalesharks than Holbox/Isla de Mujeres.

The whale shark dive in Okinawa is spectacular. They keep them in a very large net off shore and rotate them into the Churaumi Aquarium. So not only are you guaranteed to see whale sharks, but you can see one of the best aquariums in the world. Okinawa has spectacular dive sites all over the islands with amazing visibility. Definitely recommended.

Although the diving in Okinawa is amazing - I would not support the whale shark dive. The sharks are kept in a small net - are not fed very well and the ones in the net have nothing to do with the aquarium (which is quite impressive and the sharks there are quite well cared for) The aquarium has not had anything to do with the sharks in Yomitan for a few years now.

I will agree Oslob, Cebu Philippines is GREAT. i just returned from there 9-8-2012
i have already been to donsol, philippines twice before to snorkel with the whale sharks. we went from cebu city for a day trip to oslob. dove twice with the whale sharks for 1 hour each, so 2 hours total. super experience. the local people NOW have a handle and control of the situation there. in the beginning people were riding the sharks, etc.... now everything is good. i saw 7 or 8 in our section of the beach. shallow dive 7 to 10 meter only and a shore dive. you can rent all the scuba equipment there in oslob. i also agree go during the week day to avoid any crowds. i have video and pictures if you want to see. you can call me if you like, i am in usa also and give you the total run down in 5 minute call. just reply to this thread if you want to talk. see ya........

Back
Top Bottom