Tipping Technicians

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on the situation, if you come in late friday and he gets it ready for a sat dive its worth a tip.
If you bring it in and they put it in the normal line he should be charging enough to cover his/her time

Randy

Mandatory tips are kind of whack (just pay them a better base wage, especially in restaurants), but sometimes if someone goes above and beyond, I feel some sort of motivation to give back to them.

At my LDS, I have a pretty good and friendly relationship with the technician. I see him there all the time, and he helps me whenever I need it. I always got the impression from this forum to generously tip DMs/Instructors/dive trip operators and support your LDS, so I guess I just generalized this support to the technicians as well.

I guess donuts or something non-monetary is a reasonable compromise.

Yeah, donuts or buying him a beer seems good, since he seems to go the extra mile. But as RonFrank said, instructors and especially DMs are tipped (regularly, but not in all locales) because of the low wages. And because some DMs actually work WITHOUT pay (another debate). So you'd really have to know what the technician makes to put it in perspective. You don't tip the auto mechanic regardless of how helpful he is.

Hmm. Can you tip yourself? I do all the work on my gear.

Isn't "mandatory tipping" an oxymoron? I do tip at times but I dont follow any "rules" about it. Of course I am one of those guys that just isnt real concerned with being politically correct too.

I tip who and how much I feel inspired to tip. When I provide a service I almost NEVER accept a tip, but I have been known to let someone buy me a meal now and then.

The whole tip jar thing is getting out of control, IMHO. I have noticed they are showing up at a tire store and a couple of retail stores , one being a furniture store. Next thing you know they will be at the bank and the grocery store. I tip wait staff and DM's but draw the line at my mechanics or the guy who rings up my purchase at 7-11

I'd occasionally drop off a couple of cases of beer. The fill guy also serviced my regs.
I make it a point to know what people drink, I keep notes on that sort of thing in my Blackberry.

-Mitch

well, yes, fish, i *do* hope! :wink:

well, yes, randy... :D hey, wait, was that an insult?

Not if he grins afterward...lol

---------- Post added ----------

My tip consists of normally hugging the good looking girl behind the counter when I go to pick up whatever stuff I have got there. Makes my day and hers as well.

So here's the bottom line. Tipping a technician who works on your equipment is not expected or required. I know that from listening to Car Talk, Dan and Ray, on NPR. But they also endorse the baked goods reward system for techs, whether they work on your scuba gear or your car. Other non-cash "thank you's" such as beer are appropriate, but a kiss or other flesh-on-flesh contact may not be appropriate to every occasion. Use your best judgment (and a little restraint) there. As far as a cash tip for a rush job that let's you enjoy a prepaid expensive dive trip- express you appreciation with a cash tip if you wish. You will not be turned down. For tipping boat crew and DM's see The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, co-authored by yours truly.
Divemaster Dennis

I'd occasionally drop off a couple of cases of beer. The fill guy also serviced my regs.
I make it a point to know what people drink, I keep notes on that sort of thing in my Blackberry.

-Mitch

Good unless in Canada when 2 cases of 24 beer runs about $100 give or take.

Good unless in Canada when 2 cases of 24 beer runs about $100 give or take.

Yepper, that makes an awful lot of sense...56.92 for reg service and a tip of 100.00 in beers. Thinking about it, it is quite an incentive to learn doing it yourself just save money on beer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom