Broken finger loop on spring strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dsix36, I understand that you have decided, for yourself, that the loops are a no-go, and clearly the incident that made you decide that was very annoying to you, judging from how angry you sound. But the OP was asking for a method of repairing the loops, not for rants about how useless they are, I think.

The fin was secured by the loop. I had my finger through it. When the loop broke, the fin left.
I would have never thought to hold my fins using the rubber loops for fear they would break. The rubber loops do work great for removing the fin strap as they were designed to do, and in hundreds of dives they have never failed me. If I want to carry my fins it is by the springs themselves. For me being able to doff my fins very quickly, while wearing dry gloves, in the surf line, is very important. I appreciate those, hated by some, pull tabs. For others go ahead and remove them, as we are all free to do what we want :cool2:

May I suggest that instead of going off on rants you might try explaining things fully? I could not see what your fist post could possibly have to do with a broken loop. Perhaps it was a failure of my imagination, but I didn't see it. I politely asked for an explanation, and you responded with the first rant in which you refused to explain the missing detail. It might help to just put in the details in the first place.

Your suggestion has been noted and accepted. You are completely correct and my rants were totally uncalled for. I should not be letting my other problems influence my keyboard. I offer my public apoligy to all those that may have taken offense from my previous posts.

Dsix36, I understand that you have decided, for yourself, that the loops are a no-go, and clearly the incident that made you decide that was very annoying to you, judging from how angry you sound. But the OP was asking for a method of repairing the loops, not for rants about how useless they are, I think.

The best repair that I have found is to tie a loop of 3/16" bungee around the spring strap. It remains flexible and non-obtrusive while still offering something to grab.

I would have never thought to hold my fins using the rubber loops for fear they would break. The rubber loops do work great for removing the fin strap as they were designed to do, and in hundreds of dives they have never failed me. If I want to carry my fins it is by the springs themselves. For me being able to doff my fins very quickly, while wearing dry gloves, in the surf line, is very important. I appreciate those, hated by some, pull tabs. For others go ahead and remove them, as we are all free to do what we want :cool2:

I usually did not attempt to secure my fins by the pull loop, but this time I guess that I either got lazy or complacent about it.

Your suggestion has been noted and accepted. You are completely correct and my rants were totally uncalled for. I should not be letting my other problems influence my keyboard. I offer my public apoligy to all those that may have taken offense from my previous posts.

Thanks. That was extremely gracious.

Damn, who cares about the specifics of exactly how it happened. The point is that I hate those damned little loops now and do not use them and cut them off when they are present.

I had moved the fin to the other hand that was also holding the ladder. Happy now?

Ok, rant over. On to the next thread.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Ok, I'm composed now. I have never had the unfortunate problem that Dsix36 has had. I like the loop because I hang my fins up by them after a day of diving. One is getting a little weak, so thanks for the ideas for repair the day it decides to go.

PS: I just toss each fin onto the deck after I get them off.

The best repair that I have found is to tie a loop of 3/16" bungee around the spring strap. It remains flexible and non-obtrusive while still offering something to grab

Thank you! A great idea, not only for repair, but for adding a loop to springs that don't have one.

I like my loops for two reasons -- they make getting the fins ON easier, and they're great for hanging the fins up on hooks where the broad rubber over the springs won't fit.

In the future, use the pull tab to tilt your rubber heel pad so you can grab the whole spring with your hand. Pulling spring straps off just with that tab can put a lot of stress on it; I'm not surprised it broke at all.

Your wife should be able to slip a finger in the gap between her foot and the fin buckle post, unless she's wearing 10mm gloves that is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom