$650 to dive in the shark aquarium at Mandalay Bay!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They must only want the high rollers to do the dives... especially the ones that the House owes big bucks to!

For $50 more fly to Atlanta from LAX and dive the big tank at the Georgia Aquarium - with the Whale Sharks...it's $325 - flight is $370.
(not counting cab fare and hotel room...)

I had the same reaction. I am staying there for a week in about 2 weeks. I thought it was cool when I first heard about it, but after hearing the price not so much.

The Denver aquarium is $185 to dive in the shark tank. I haven't done it myself, but I was thinking that seemed high for a single dive. I guess it isn't as bad compared to some places!

WTF? that was really ridiculous thanks but no thanks!

The Denver Shark dive is a negatively buoyant dive only. The fish tank you can free dive anywhere you want but the Shark tank you have to stay to the outer edges in what looks like a "trench". It reminds me of watching a baseball game from the dugout instead of the bleachers. You're closer to the action but you're still quite limited as to what you can do and see. I'm not saying it is a bad dive by any means but I think a lot of people misunderstand the limitations when they see "dive with the sharks".

Back from Vegas Saturday, went to the aquarium on Thursday. It was worth the admission, and I would have liked to jump in, but it wasn't nice enough to convince me that it was worth those kind of $$.

The Denver Shark dive is a negatively buoyant dive only. The fish tank you can free dive anywhere you want but the Shark tank you have to stay to the outer edges in what looks like a "trench". It reminds me of watching a baseball game from the dugout instead of the bleachers. You're closer to the action but you're still quite limited as to what you can do and see. I'm not saying it is a bad dive by any means but I think a lot of people misunderstand the limitations when they see "dive with the sharks".

Actually when I dove at the Maui Ocean center I was able to get alongside the sharks briefly when they came over (3-5 ft distance) and also fed the stingrays and we were allowed to go just about anywhere in the tank, for obvious reasons in the interest of my own life I didn't go around "chasing" the tiger sharks to "dive alongside them" :D We also collected teeth (shed from the sharks) which was fun. Since that trip I also did a shark dive in the Bahamas in the ocean and that in my opinion was way more intense, we were in the middle of 20 or so huge reef sharks (about 10-15ft in length).

I particularly liked the program at the Maui Ocean Center because it funded marine research so the proceeds were going to a good cause rather than some businessman's pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom