Educate me on my fins.....................................

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you must use the one you are most comfortable and make your swim fast so I will rather choose any of 1,3,4 and not use the 2nd one. I think if that fins are much ok if you will swim with the current.

The last picture looks like Frogs, the model below the Master Frogs, they are good fins, I own a pair and like them. I'd go the Frogs coz I too like black. But if I were you i'd take the ones that are the lightest and easiest to pack, you'll not notice much if any difference between the 3 paddles you have pictured. I have no experience with splits. Have a great trip.

Like these???? I also have these laying around. They are OLD and have been sitting around for years.

And we have a winner.

Personally, I dove fins like your last picture when I was in Coz, but if you aren't used to them, they are going to feel heavy and stiff. What I would do, if I were you, is to look at the three blade fins in the first picture, and take the ones that feel the least flexible. (They're all going to be more flexible than the rubber fins.) That will give you comfort AND the ability to swim a bit into current. In general, in Coz, you will be drifting WITH the current, but if you want to stop and look at something, or take a picture, you have to swim into it to maintain position.

I advise you to buy a set of Mares Quatros for your collection :wink:

I've never done a drift dive but if you search SB it is full of divers who don't recommend splits for Coz and drifts.

Without having to buy a new pair take the lightest pair that packs the best. You should probably take the pair you dive the most.

Like these???? I also have these laying around. They are OLD and have been sitting around for years.

It would appear that the answer to your OP has been sitting under your nose for years. :)

If you are diving in any current you should avoid the split fins. I love my split fins, but recently found out they aren't much use in a mild to strong current.

ScubaBoard is full of outspoken troglodytes! :D

I own a bunch of paddle fins but the best fins I have for current are Apollo Biofins hands down! But when traveling I often go with my Mares Avanti Quattros as they are light and comfortable. The biofins are heavy for travel even if I have used them in FL and Coz back before they started charging for baggage.

Many like Jets. I find them to be ill sized, heavy, and uncomfortable. The foot pockets do not fit me right. The design is from the mid 60's. They are also now expensive and I have no idea why?

The bottom line, we stink in the water. Most of us are hard pressed to maintain 2mph..... yes we are SLOW underwater I do not care what fin your using!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom