snaps - tell me why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive in cold water as well. I used to use the "butterfly" style clips but found that the large "gate style" were even easier to open with heavy gloves on. Things that get clipped off like lights, reels and stage bottles get the large ones. Items like my primary get a smaller one for the simple fact that I can pretty much see it and manipulate it easier.

I read this thread the other day and see the pit falls of snaps like the one in the middle that can open easily. Today getting out of the truck at work (I have a bolt snap on my key chain like that to put my lock on for lock out tag out to carry it around) as I exited the truck the seat belt opened the snap and I was stuck.:confused: Good thing I was on dry land and it did take effort to get the belt unfouled.

I dive cold water exclusively wearing smurf gloves with liners too. As some others mentioned I've brought my skills up to deal with the better equipment.

I dive in cold water as well. I used to use the "butterfly" style clips but found that the large "gate style" were even easier to open with heavy gloves on. Things that get clipped off like lights, reels and stage bottles get the large ones. Items like my primary get a smaller one for the simple fact that I can pretty much see it and manipulate it easier.

.. I just took the time to develop better manipulation skills to use the bolt snaps....and raised my game to meet the requirements.
... I've brought my skills up to deal with the better equipment.
So, people should take advice from guys that actually had to work on their skills to use a bolt snap?

Here's a hint, if you are going to take a cheap shot at those who have no issue using brass snaps by inferring that brass snap users do not know how to use a stainless snap, then try to make your point without wiping out your own credibility.

So, people should take advice from guys that actually had to work on their skills to use a bolt snap?

Here's a hint, if you are going to take a cheap shot at those who have no issue using brass snaps by inferring that brass snap users do not know how to use a stainless snap, then try to make your point without wiping out your own credibility.

I think they're talking about using bolt snaps effectively with gloves (vs trigger snaps or similar) irrespective of what material they are made of.

Still waiting for it to kill me... (or do any of the other things attributed to brass):

robosock026.jpg

Brass not good for the marine environment - golly, someone ought to tell the mariners who have been using it for centuries.

Still waiting for it to kill me... (or do any of the other things attributed to brass):

View attachment 126379

Brass not good for the marine environment - golly, someone ought to tell the mariners who have been using it for centuries.

Do you guys zip tie the bolt snaps on to everything or use line of some type?

Mike

OK, I just had to go find my rattiest brass bolt snap. See pic.

No trace of a rough edge anywhere on that old salt.

I'm starting to think that the whole brass/stainless steel controversy started over some nickel-plated brass snap. Now that IS an issue as electrolysis eats the brass and leaves nasty edges on the nickel plate. Had a cheap watch that taught me that lesson way back in high school...

View attachment 126386

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom