snaps - tell me why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta admit - had to go experiment with that one - guess it could happen but . . .

If turned in towards the D-ring it is a far less chance of it happening, as the gate is protected. Of course I do that with all my bolt snaps. So while the chances of it happening are very slim, I will just stick with the good old fashion. Of course, I rarely where anything more then tropical gloves. Cold water is cold. I hate cold. :)

Oh, and AJ is right, stainless can slice the crap out of you as well. My thumbs look like they got attacked by a paper monster.

The stainless ones will slice you, too. But the stainless ones, in general, hold up better than the brass ones. I've had more brass ones seize up over than years than stainless (which I've had maybe 1 or two). I don't want to futz with gear if I don't have to, and stainless prevents a lot of futzing.

Agree completely. Stainless will cut too, but not so much as the brass ones in my experience. I too don't want to have to lube em or futs with snaps, it's one more thing to forget. For me they just work better than brass.
But contrary to others responding, I'm not getting my panties in a wad over it. Use brass if you want to, or stainless. It's not worth arguing about. I'm answering the WHY I use what I use as the OP asked.

I just bought about 10 bolt snaps for various bits and bobs of gear. I could have paid ~ $9- $10 each for stainless, or $2 each for brass at Princess Auto.

I like the brass ones just fine :)

If turned in towards the D-ring it is a far less chance of it happening, as the gate is protected. Of course I do that with all my bolt snaps. So while the chances of it happening are very slim, I will just stick with the good old fashion. Of course, I rarely where anything more then tropical gloves. Cold water is cold. I hate cold. :)

Oh, and AJ is right, stainless can slice the crap out of you as well. My thumbs look like they got attacked by a paper monster.

JamesK,

After my last post I realized you're a cave diver. If I was a diving caves I wouldn't use butterflies either (now).

why these:

View attachment 126268
vs. these (the bottom one):
View attachment 126269

I understand the "non-trigger" one in the "middle" is a snag hazard, but the bottom one is easy to manage, especially with cold water (thick) gloves. Please explain. Thanks.

Easier to open but try this: take a fairly tight line and (with your eyes closed) put two fast loops around a standard bolt snap then the snap that you are questioning, pictured on the bottom.

-which is why I don't like them as much as I like the vanilla standard.

Brass versus stainless: I hate brass, only for the reason that it more quickly 'stiffens' and becomes a P.I.T.A. to use. I've had brass and stainless double-enders for years. The stainless still work like new.... the brass are junk. Never been 'cut' by a brass snap, though.

Bolt versus boat: I think bolt snaps are more optimum - but neither is 'gonna kill you'. I don't dive in cold water (now), so bolt is perfect and quick to use. When I did use to dive in cold water, I just took the time to develop better manipulation skills to use the bolt snaps. Boat may have been easier, but I didn't look into that option - I stayed with the 'standard' and raised my game to meet the requirements.

I'm with Zky and dumpsterDiver as far as brass vrs stainless, I go for function and cost which gives value. As old as I'm getting why buy a clip that last three (or more) times longer than I will? I have brass clips from 30+ years ago which function just fine but look pretty used.

I quit using snap (suicide) clips because they would unclip and release items rather than a major problem with snagging unwanted crap.

Bob
-------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I have a well used brass clip. It seems to stick more than the stainless ones used during the same dives, and getting the same cleanings. I retired it and stick with stainless for all now. On my kayaks the brass clips are always corroding and sticking.

The OP's top pic is what I use for most of my clips in the larger "Cold Water" size. I do use the bottom clip for my kayak anchor but that is all it is used for and I have a few. They are often used on horse reins, which is where my stainless ones came from. Come to think of it, most of my horse gear has been stainless not brass.

Great place to get bolt snaps etc. from.
Diving Snaps

I can see the point about the trigger being accidentally activated, and a piece of gear like a backup light dropping off to oblivion. But on something like an SPG that is attached by a hose and frequently needs to be removed and replaced on a D-ring, this could be the ticket. I think I am going to try it. But definitely in stainless. Here are some examples of what's available:

Home Depot
specifically mentions stainless steel spring

Grainger Industrial Supply
photo below

In the photo below the one on the left was bought at a dive shop for $7 and had >300 saltwater dives on it over three years when this picture was taken.

The one on the right was labeled as "marine grade" from Home Depot for about $4, and had done <30 dives during a one-week live aboard trip before this picture was taken. (The one on the left did the same 30 dives with it.) Note the handy "locked open" functionality, as well as the two spots where rubbing on the D-ring actual wore away some of the steel.

BoltSnap_1.jpg

As far as brass or stainless goes, if you get a cheap knockoff of a good item you have junk. If a boat snap works for you, use it and just like every thing else on your "kit" you become aware of it and it's drawbacks and advantages such as it is. As far as maintaining it, just like the rest of your equipment you do check it and fix or repair as needed. My opinion is there is no perfect answer to the snap debate. You always can have an equipment failure and if properly prepared you will deal with whatever it is. Yes there are certain styles to obviously avoid but as far as bolt snap vs boat snap, it's hard to call. As far as the little boat snap lever catching on stuff, that would be the last thing I'd worry about considering all of the items you have sticking off of your gear at different angles. Tank valves, SPG's octo's, knives, first stages, etc. Would I use it(boat snap) to clip off my camera or back up computer, probably not. But for SPG's or octos I believe it would serve just fine. This however is just my $.05 , $.02 just don't cut it in these troubled times.

Back
Top Bottom