Difference between Aqualung Legend LUX Supreme & Aqualung Legend LX Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a solid regulator, but the fact is is that there is data, and then there is experience with the regulator. Even if one has data to suggest that my current reg shouldn't be having problems, it still is. Just because there is data and many people talk about it being great, though it is, I wouldn't replace it if I wasn't having problems with it. Anyone who knows me knows this. I don't think that harder to breathe is the right word for it- the air seems to be "thinner". I was using it a few days ago and the better word for it is that I don't have to breathe any deeper, it's just when I breathe "normally" at depth I don't get as much air as I should. At shallower depths even down to 45 ft. it performs fine.

---------- Post added ----------

I had my MK25/A700 in Lake DeGray at 39F this year. YOu know it gets COLD bellow 70 Ft! Didnt have the first problem other than Im an air hog. I had a D400 octo too and it worked great.

I dive Lake DeGray very frequently- it performs well there? Deepest I've been there is 71ft and I felt like I was breathing air at altitude. And it was finger numbing, face stinging cold

Is there any difference between the MK25/A700 and the MK25/S600 other than the finish?

The A700 has a chrome plated brass body. It holds the heat from your breath better IMHO. It also helps the air by holding moisture. When I used my wifes S600 my mouth dried out more.

Later Mon,
Nick

We where there 2 or 3 weekends ago with Bayou Divers. I was buttoned up. I had on a 6.5mm farmer john(12mm over your core), 7mm hood, 5mm gloves and boots plus a long sleeve Lavacore! Once my lips went numb is wasnt bad. My body never got cold. At 60-70 feet I had zero trouble breathing. The guys with me said they notices a difference in performance. They had Scubapro MK11/C300s. I just like a metal body. Plastic is for toys. Also look at the Hog D1. For the money you cannot beat them. Some people believe you cant beat them, just spend more and get the same or less. I went with Scubapro because you can find a dealer and tech ANYWHERE. With there being more tech a good tech will be easier to find.

Later Mon,
Nick

The fact that you just had it serviced points to this as being the problem.....there are many, many instances of equipment coming back from service not working properly.
1st stop should be the tech/shop where it was serviced.

The A700 has a chrome plated brass body. It holds the heat from your breath better IMHO. It also helps the air by holding moisture. When I used my wifes S600 my mouth dried out more.

Later Mon,
Nick

We where there 2 or 3 weekends ago with Bayou Divers. I was buttoned up. I had on a 6.5mm farmer john(12mm over your core), 7mm hood, 5mm gloves and boots plus a long sleeve Lavacore! Once my lips went numb is wasnt bad. My body never got cold. At 60-70 feet I had zero trouble breathing. The guys with me said they notices a difference in performance. They had Scubapro MK11/C300s. I just like a metal body. Plastic is for toys. Also look at the Hog D1. For the money you cannot beat them. Some people believe you cant beat them, just spend more and get the same or less. I went with Scubapro because you can find a dealer and tech ANYWHERE. With there being more tech a good tech will be easier to find.

Later Mon,
Nick

My nephew was there taking his AOW with RRS (Red River Scuba)! Small world! So it looks like I'll be going with the MK25/A700.

The nephew was actually using my reg set for that dive and he told me the same thing, once he got down to 40 ft he had troubles saying the air wasn't very easy to get. He said, "I was in a 3 mil and freezing my ass off!"

It can't be a tuning issue as I had it overhauled and retuned a few weeks ago as my annual servicing.

Just to satisfy my own morbid curiosity, would you mind mentioning where you were considering purchasing a new Legend from?

If it was from the same shop that just serviced your Titan I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

It looks like you are trying to concince yourself to get a new toy :wink:

Unless the 1 st stage is totally screwed up or the IP is superlow how it breathes depends mostly on the second stage in my experience.

So if yours cannot be tuned it might be enough for you just to get a second stage.
But if you want a new toy I wiuld probably go with mk25 / g250v

It looks like you are trying to concince yourself to get a new toy :wink:

Unless the 1 st stage is totally screwed up or the IP is superlow how it breathes depends mostly on the second stage in my experience.

So if yours cannot be tuned it might be enough for you just to get a second stage.
But if you want a new toy I wiuld probably go with mk25 / g250v
I will admit, I do look forward to getting new equipment, for whatever the reason :), I'm a bit of a SCUBA gear geek. I wouldn't buy one if I wasn't having issues, though.

And I didn't buy the Aqualung Titan LX from the same place as it was serviced. And, it never really DID work well at depth

The fact that you just had it serviced points to this as being the problem.....there are many, many instances of equipment coming back from service not working properly.
1st stop should be the tech/shop where it was serviced.

I have to agree.

Well, it was not performing well at depth well before I had it serviced. I was just sending it in for its annual overhaul

Tuning the reg isn't actually difficult once the IP is set in the first stage. Usually just a matter of setting the purge lever and adjusting the cracking pressure so that it freeflows when purged with the venturi at +, and stopping when turned back to -. Many shops give regs an extra 1/8 or quarter turn to allow for replaced parts 'taking a set' over hte first few dives. If it is overdone, the reg may breathe a little too difficult to start with but can be fine tuned normally with minor adjustments to the second stage.

If the reg is somehow breathing differently at different depths, it is improbable but possible that the 1st stage diaphragm spring has been somehow deformed or swapped with a spring of different tension, which is not allowing the IP to increase with the ambient pressure. I doubt this is the case, but it's worth while going back to the tech and asking some questions.

If you bought the reg new, and you feel
it never really DID work well at depth
I would hazard a guess and say that it is potentially you changing your breathing pattern at depth. Air is denser at depth and you can actually feel that if you're concentrating on it. For example I can inhale for a lot longer at depths of 100ft than I can at 10ft due to this density. To me the gas feels thicker. I don't wear a wetsuit so it's not due to compression.

Or maybe, just maybe you bought a lemon. There are easier breathing regs on the market. However they're often easier breathing due to their sensitivity which can only come through by being 'properly' tuned. However unless you're planning to take them beyond 300ft, most divers (me included) simply do not need such a 'ferrari' when we're only going to buy milk from the supermarket. I'd personally save the money and buy something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom