Rare: Mk20 with G250 Crystal Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandheart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a very very rare Mk20 / G250 Crystal regulator I'm considering selling.

This Mk 20 has the mod completed and both 1st and 2nd were serviced in the past month to the tune of $125 and they appear near new.

This regulator was never offered in the catalog by ScubaPro but were special units that regional reps were given. These are incredible breathers.

I have no idea what it is worth. Everyone that sees it just flips out.

Anybody with experience with this reg let me know what I should ask for it. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Thanks

Hmmm. From what I under stand they are junk. Not good/safe for anything. Let it keep your trash can company until the garbage runs. It would be generous but I will offer you $20 for it.

JOKING!!!! You have something pretty cool. Just think about what it is. When molding SP LEFT OUT the colored pellets and used only clear. Seams like it should have cost less! My guess is it was a pretty good sales and training tool. The only down side is I hear the clear plastic can stain or discolor some and then its not so pretty. Rinse and clean well. Keep out or sustained direct sun light and should be cool for years to come. If you put it up for sale I sure would be interested it I have the $$.

Later Mon,
Nick

During one of my pool sessions for OW certification I was given the opportunity to use one. The reg I was given from the shop was leaking, so my instructor gave me his back up. This was no ordinary back up 1st and 2nd stage. It was a titanium Mk 25 with the Crystal G250.

After using only the rental regs, this setup was amazing (and I bet still is when compared to modern regs). At the time my instructor told me what it was worth, and I believe the Crystal goes for well over $1000, however, it was almost a year ago so that number could be wrong.

During one of my pool sessions for OW certification I was given the opportunity to use one. The reg I was given from the shop was leaking, so my instructor gave me his back up. This was no ordinary back up 1st and 2nd stage. It was a titanium Mk 25 with the Crystal G250.

After using only the rental regs, this setup was amazing (and I bet still is when compared to modern regs). At the time my instructor told me what it was worth, and I believe the Crystal goes for well over $1000, however, it was almost a year ago so that number could be wrong.
Thats a little high. I have seen them on e&@y go for 300ish to high $400s depending on condition and history of care. It maybe worth more but not that much. Now the Titanium MK25 is $$$. Im just not a fan of titanium regulators. I guess if you paid full retail you could pay $1000($500 ti mk25 and $500 G250 Crystal).

Nick

The G250 'crystal' is just a normal G250 in a clear plastic case rather than black. This might have sort of coincided with the popularity of clear silicone masks, but that's just a guess. It's a neat regulator. Probably the best way to figure out what someone will pay for it is to put it on ebay. You'd probably get the most by selling the 1st and 2nd stages separately, even though it's a neat set and a shame to break it up. My guess is that someone would pay around $150 for each stage, maybe a little more due to the clear case, but probably not too much.

Based on my experience watching ebay prices for Scubapro stuff, I would say that Halocline is spot on. Depending on the condition, $125 to $150, at most, for the MK20. It's serviced, yes, but I would still have my tech check it over before I dove it. As for the Crystal G250, again, depends on the condition "and" on luck. Sometimes these things can generate a little bidding war between two hungry suitors, in which case the price will spike a bit. Sometimes the auction can remain somewhat flat, in which case you might get a bit less than you had hoped. I would say $150-$250.

The G250 'crystal' is just a normal G250 in a clear plastic case rather than black. This might have sort of coincided with the popularity of clear silicone masks, but that's just a guess. It's a neat regulator. Probably the best way to figure out what someone will pay for it is to put it on ebay. You'd probably get the most by selling the 1st and 2nd stages separately, even though it's a neat set and a shame to break it up. My guess is that someone would pay around $150 for each stage, maybe a little more due to the clear case, but probably not too much.

Is the cracking adjustment knob metal only?, metal shaft with small black plastic knob? or a larger all plastic knob like the 250HP?

Back
Top Bottom