Who has the GoPro Backscatter Red Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TXreefer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need a red filter for a trip beginning June. I know there are supposed to be red filters coming out for the new dive housing but it's not gonna happen in time.

Can someone that has the BS red filter take a flat picture of one with a ruler for size reference? Then I can print it out and mess around with the size to see if I can find a way to attach it before spending the $40.

If you wanna email it to me great- twbatesATgmail.com

GOPR0040.jpg

Here is a picture of Magic Red Filter. Hope it helps.

Thanks. Should work perfectly.

Where did you get this?
they say it is not going to be available until late June...

That is the one for the BS housing. I needed something for a trip this Friday. I couldn't wait!

I ordered one and received it the other day. I modded it by gluing a piece of acrylic on the red filter to hopefully hold it in place with a rubber band on the GoPro Dive Housing.

It is still drying. I'll post a pic and vid this afternoon when I test it out.

Maybe you could order this one and have it over-nighted in.
GoPro Dive Red Filter | GoPro Accessories, GoPro Filters and Lenses, GoPro Microphone

---------- Post added ----------

Backscatter confirmed that on this board not to long ago as well.

Yeah I searched for a solution to fit my needs. I had to have something removable and those in lens filters just aren't going to work. I will be using the video in shallow to intermediate water that is very clear....prob won't need the red filter all the time. And I want to get some entry exit shots that aren't blood red!

I will prob get the flip housing that BS is making to fit the GoPro housing when it comes out unless of course GP's is a better design. But I think mine will work for now.

Here is a pic. I'll get one later with the filter in place.

a6934892-5d51-cdae.jpg

Okay here are the results.

Full shot of updated tray. I rounded the edges of the acrylic where the cords go through to minimize abrasion.

a693489a-8692-534d.jpg

After cutting the new eye with a dremel, I glued that small piece of acrylic to the red filter with some weld-on #4 acrylic cement. Allowed it to dry overnight.

a693489a-86a3-ecb9.jpg

Back view. I had to use two rubber bands because I couldn't find any long enough. I may try one of those larger elastic headbands soccer players wear.

a693489a-86c2-da62.jpg

I took a variety of videos. In wide mode you can see the rounded edges of the red filter. In 1080 Medium it works great.

Bottom line, it will work out for my first use on this trip, but I will purchase the flip version when it comes out.

I still have find a place to store it. I was thinking of adding some velcro for the lens cap and just attach the lens cap to the acrylic.

Any thoughts on attaching the red filter to the acrylic? - for when it is not in use? I have a zippered weight pouch I could prob slide over the handle for now if I can't think of anything else.

When will you be in Bonaire? headed there the 23rd with a group of 12! looking into a similar solution...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom