Single Gauge Console or Multiple???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z085688

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

Since I'm new to the world of scuba and currently in process of getting my first set of gear, I wanted to pose a question... I'm thinking of getting a watch style computer (Cressi Leonardo or similiar) and since the computer displays depth, would it be a bad idea to just get a single guage console for tank pressure? Depth I can get from the computer and I would just forgo the use of a compass. Is a compass very useful? Anyway thought I would pose these questions to members with more experience.

Thanks,
Brent

A single pressure gauge, and a wrist mounted computer is what a lot of folks dive with. When you get a compass, you can get a wrist mounted one too.

If getting the computer theres is no need for a 2-gauge console. unless you want to be redundant incase you forget your computer, battery dies something like that. you can get some pretty slim 2-gauges now and it would be only a few bucks more.

its pretty well whatever you are comfortable with......ive never actually had an analog depth gauge. Ive always had just the computer. started off on my console but have long since gone with compass and computer on my wrist.

Nothing wrong with however you want to work it!

Just an bare SPG should be fine--you don't even need the console.

You do need a compass. A compass is a piece of basic gear that may save your life. Knowing where you are going and more importantly how to get back is a skill that every competent and safe basic open water diver should have. You will be required to demonstrate compass use in the OW class. Or at least you should have to. I would never dive without a compass.

I've gotten very spoiled diving in the caves, and my navigation skills, which weren't great to begin with, have gone down the tubes. Just follow the line in, follow the line out...

Just to echo what others have said, I think a compass is important to not only have but to also be able to use. A single B&G SPG is all you really need, reliable and small. I dive a wrist computer on right wrist, compass on left and a B&G SPG. This set up has suited me for many years. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom