Anyone tried CrossFit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read alot about it. There is a new trainer at my gym that will do cross fit workouts. The workouts as written will kick your butt. I know a few guys that will modify them some to keep from a) passing out b) throwing up and generally be able to function the next day.

Great stuff though.

I've been reading their site and sniffing their kool aid. Looks like 'fun' of the painful variety!

No way in hell can I complete one of those work outs w/o modification, which is a good argument for trying it.

So I'll be heading over there this week I think. Glad they opened a place, I don't like personal trainer prices- actually worse than scuba costs.

Unless you are a Navy SEAL crossed with a ninja you will not be able to do the workouts without modificaiton, but they are GREAT workouts. They will kick your butt, don't take long and work every muscle in your body.

It is popular with cops, firemen and military special forces if that tells you anything. The web site has alot on good info and training tips.

Unless you are a Navy SEAL crossed with a ninja you will not be able to do the workouts without modificaiton, but they are GREAT workouts. They will kick your butt, don't take long and work every muscle in your body.

It is popular with cops, firemen and military special forces if that tells you anything. The web site has alot on good info and training tips.

More like a regular seal. Have you done the program?

For anyone who's curious.

OK, went tonight. It was a pretty horrific 20 minutes-

400m run
1 burpee, 10 pushups
1 burpee, 9 pushups and so forth down to 1 pushup
400m run
increasing pyramid from 1 burp/1 pushup to 1 burp/10 PUs
400m run
15 leg ups hanging from a bar

Done for time.

No I was not able to complete those pyramids as written. They scaled those to a level appropriate for my wussiness. I now know where all the tendons in my arms and shoulders are. I was shaking so badly afterward that my handwriting looked like a third grader's.

At least they had really loud music.

I have done the program, but just on my own in the weight room at work. I also can not do the workout as written. I did it for a few weeks and started seeing results, but then got injured (unrelated to the workouts) and I need to get back to it now that I am health again.

There are 2 other guys that I work with that do it also. Both are marathon runners in addition to being well rounded athletes (much, much better shape than I am in) and they both swear by it.

I have tried it and failed. I must say that being in pretty good shape when you start seems to help out and makes you feel more part of it. I have two guys at work that are addicted to it and have seen great results. I think it is an awsome program, just not right for me right now.

I started Jan 21 while weighing 291 lbs. The day I went in the workout was:
- 200m row
- 21-15-9 of pushup, squats, and ring rows
- 200m row

I made it through the 200m row, 21 pushups, 21 squats, and about 8 ring rows before I stopped and ended up a collapsed sweating mess.

I've been doing it 4-5 times a week and am down to 233 lbs (combined with diet changes).

Some notes from the past 4 months:
- Workouts are scaled. I've only done one workout without scaling and that was a lot of light weight, for reps, with a set time
- Checkout more than one box. CrossFit use an affiliate model not a franchise model. So one box can be really different from another. Make sure you like the trainers' coaching style
- Go regardless of what the workout will be.
- Nutrition plays a big part of the results.
- Cheer on the other people in the class.
- Enjoy your off days

At 3 months I redid the first day's workout and did it in 5:21.

I've been going to a CF gym for a few years. I can do almost all the WODs (workout of the day) without modification now, but the freakin' muscle up still eludes me. This vexes me greatly!

The thing I like the most about it is the community. You will meet like-minded, highly driven, motivated people. You will be committed to improving your fitness by the coaches at your box and the community, rather than just wanting to. There's a huge difference between the two.

The post above is spot on. Nutrition is 80% of it.

Also, don't forget recovery (with any workout program). It's pretty hard to over-train, but it's really easy to under-recover. Sleep and mobility work are vital. If you workout hard today then get only 4 hours of sleep tonight, you are really hurting your progress.

CF isn't my only workout...I run, mountain bike, practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Krav Maga, and even do some yoga. I'm still not where I want to be as far as overall fitness and strength, but I'm getting closer every day.

Anyway, CF...it's not for everyone, that's for sure. Some people don't like workouts with that much intensity, and that's OK! Find something you do like, and do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom