Acid burn at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dam0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Currently in Mexico having completed today the 2nd day of diving on our holiday, the 3rd and final is on Monday

Did two dives this morning, the first one was fine but as i entered the water for the second dive i starting to get an acid burn in my stomach. I carried on, descended with the guide and the burn got worse.

At 15m and 10 minutes in i was thinking i was going to be sick and signaled 'somethings wrong' and rubbed my stomach. (The guide probably thought i was hungry).

While there was an underwater debate with the other diver on our trip and the guide i felt better and carried on. (He was about to end the dive)

It seemed the lower i descended the worse the burn got so i elected to stay a little higher in the water. Throughout the dive the burn came on and off.

I never ever suffer acid / heart burn. This has confused me slightly. The sea was very rough today and the surface interval wasn't all that fun, was this a little sea sickness? Was i stupid to carry on? Is there a way to be sick underwater if it did happen? Is this common at all?

Just to be clear, if i thought i was really going to be ill i would have ended the dive. The burn was fine so long as i 'managed it'

Feedback appreciated.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

I deal with chronic acid reflux. While I don't believe you do, I can sympathize with heartburn underwater. I recommend a tums or two before a dive, or better yet a prilosec. Lasts all day. Heartburn actually creates gases in your stomach which are affected by depth and pressure. Also, being horizontal and working like we do while diving, has a chance of pushing stomach acid up where it isn't normally, hence heart burn when you usually don't get it. I've had heartburn get worse when I dive fairly often. It's icky. Very uncomfortable. Sea sickness makes it worse. Though I imagine since it was worse at depth, it was likely just heart burn since sea sickness tends to back off under water. You were not in any real danger, so carrying on was ok. I would just say a tums or two before a dive to settle any acid ahead of time and you'll be great.

I was in Playa del Carmen in Feb and got seasick for the first time since I was a teenager, about 40 years ago; the seas weren't especially rough, maybe 3-4 ft, but I think that, coupled with an extreme case of nerves (first dive after serious surgery) is what made me sick. After the second day I was fine.
You mentioned a surface interval that wasn't much fun - maybe all you need is just some more time in the water?
And I do know someone that has vomited while UW - said it wasn't much fun either, but it can be done!

KevinL

My instructor told us in class that vomiting thru a reg can be done. I guess you just have to be mindful not to take the reg out, puke and then inhale...go figure huh? I have read on here from other divers that they have vomited thru their reg's and had to pull them out give them a good shake then return and clear. Sounds like a ton of fun right??? Makes me want to eat nothing but light fruit for breakfast before a dive. After I certify that is...

How old are you, and is your health otherwise good? Burning sensations in under the lower sternum or in the upper abdomen can be signs of angina (coronary artery disease). If you are over 45, a smoker, or have high blood pressure or diabetes or high cholesterol, or a strong family history of heart disease, I would consider seeing your doctor at home for at least an EKG.

I am not sure what your problem was but I am reasonably sure it was not sea sickness as that usually stops as soon as you get in the water. It might have simply been something you ate.

I don't know about sea sickness because I never had it before. But I get some information here that I can use to prevent this kind of sickness if ever I encounter it. Thanks!

It very likely could be GERD. There are other possibilities, too, such as migraines or CO poisoning.

Fortunately vomiting due to GERD is less violent than from food poisoning. It's not so hard to do through a regulator.

My instructor told us in class that vomiting thru a reg can be done. I guess you just have to be mindful not to take the reg out, puke and then inhale...go figure huh? I have read on here from other divers that they have vomited thru their reg's and had to pull them out give them a good shake then return and clear. Sounds like a ton of fun right??? Makes me want to eat nothing but light fruit for breakfast before a dive. After I certify that is...

I have been told that the fish will love you if you do this.

Back
Top Bottom