Fish ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herbdb

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This guy hides under a wreck just off Capt Don's on Bonaire. I have lots of good closeups of his head, but this is the best I have that shows the full body. Looks like a grouper, but I can't find anything with this spot pattern. Can anyone help?

P3040487 700X524.jpg
P3040490 700X524.jpg

Looks to me, to be a Tiger grouper/ mycteroperca tigris.
I have seen them change their spot pattern when involved in various activities,such as mating, and when they are parked at cleaning stations, as this one is..

Cindy

Way too large to be a Graysby. No faint lines on the body or obvious/oversize canine teeth like the Tiger. Without more: Yellowmouth but I'm not calling that an absolutely positive ID.

It's hard to see either the striping or spots on the back. Tough to call.

That is sooooo cool. I thought he looked familiar. With the thousands of pics I have taken this is a first to find the same fish - now I know we take pics of the same fishes many times, but obviously rare that we "meet"

Back
Top Bottom