Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Travis - Mansfield Dam 5/23/2012

Air Temp - Don't know, hot dressing up and climbing down the ramps / rocks
Surface Temp - Unknown
Bottom Temp - 72f at 30feet
Vis - touch diving near the shore, improved to 6-10 feet once we got out and at depth.

We surfaced 65 minutes later at dusk and there were a boat load of spiders crawling all over the exit point. Kinda cool yet creepy. It had really cooled off and it felt great climbing up the hill, getting out of our gear and stopping by to chat with the Pisces club that had some grilling going on.

May 25, 2012-Mansfield Park dive area
Air temp-80s
Water temp: 75 degrees at 20 feet, 72 degrees at 30 feet, 60 degrees at 70 feet, 57 degrees from 100-117 feet.
Visibility was 10-12 feet from the surface to around 55 feet. Murk layer from 55 to about 70 feet. Cleared up again about 8-10 feet down to 90 feet. Vis dropped to about one foot below 90 feet to max depth. My 21-watt canister light helped though.
Dove up to the dam, down the dam wall to the first gate at 117 feet. Came downstream from the gate. Was surprised to find a large carp at 117 feet chewing up the bottom. During the ascent found a boat ladder at about 86 feet.

May 27th, Windy Pt Park (Barstow), afternoon
Air temp 92F, with moderate east winds
Very few divers - by late afternoon we were the only pair.
Visibility was absolutely the best I've seen at this location. Especially on 2nd div, heading east from middle platform, just below the rock wall at 50-60feet. With 12W LED light, at times I could illuminate rocks that were easily 20 feet away. Spectacular for L. Travis.

May 27th Bob Wentz
Surface temp 78F
Temp at depth 64F
Max depth 67ffw
Viz 0-20' 1' max
Viz 20-42' 2-3'
Viz 43-55' 7-10'
Viz 56'+ 3-5'

I went in near the point hoping for the best viz. Conditions were better swimming South. I checked out the lower line all the way to the end. Checked out the grottos around 45'. Viz was certainly not great enough to see all of the grotto. There's a big buoy line or mooring line right up against Cathedral. It's tied to a nice size cement block and the bottom of the grotto. I found my cookie on the upper line marking the spot. Upper line is covered in crap. I ran my glove along to clean it up a bit. I found my Bell grotto marker too. I also found a 2 PDW cookies (Paul Werner?) labeling a wreck and with a three way fork leading to broken line on right(needs to be fixed), middle line to wreck(not there or more than 5 ft from the end) and left line to lower line. I did not spend much time below 60 looking because I dove wet. I will be going out to set two vertical orange lines at the point and scoreboard. I will then start replacing the lines between.

Date: Sunday, May 27, 2012
Water Temp: 79 at surface
Thermocline: 23 feet and 30 feet
Visibility: 20 feet + above thermocline, less as the water got colder
Air Temp: 83 and sunny

The alligator is now on the bottom next to the SS Minnow. Robert sunk a new training platform last week, it is shiny new with no gunk accumulated. Perch are actively nesting and underwater vegetation is tall. Saw 2 big gnarly old scarred catfish, and the albino catfish. Fun day at the pond :)

Saturday June 2, 2012
Lake Travis - Bob Wentz Park

No dive

I was threatened with tickets by J. Delahouse. The attitude I received was unnecessary. The guy acted like he had never seen me there before. Last Memorial Day he thanked me for coming out and being there. I was not doing anything I haven't done in the last two years to enter the water safely. I was there last Saturday and entered the water in the same manner.

I left instead of diving and of course the day permit is non-refundable. Until something changes I refuse to go back. They have artificially made it hazardous to a diver's physical health and safety to enter or exit the water.

I could go on about how they don't check fishing permits or rarely check for smuggled in alcohol. I could also talk about how I fish beer cans and other trash out of the lake, but it doesn't matter. The best thing we can do. Divers is complain to LCRA to make it more safe for divers to enjoy that park by better access to the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Saturday June 2, 2012

No dive

I was threatened with tickets by J. Delahouse. The attitude I received was unnecessary. The guy acted like he had never seen me there before. Last Memorial Day he thanked me for coming out and being there. I was not doing anything I haven't done in the last two years to enter the water safely. I was there last Saturday and entered the water in the same manner.

I left instead of diving and of course the day permit is non-refundable. Until something changes I refuse to go back. They have artificially made it hazardous to a diver's physical health and safety to enter or exit the water.

I could go on about how they don't check fishing permits or rarely check for smuggled in alcohol. I could also talk about how I fish beer cans and other trash out of the lake, but it doesn't matter. The best thing we can do. Divers is complain to LCRA to make it more safe for divers to enjoy that park by better access to the water.

I think you should start a new thread on this so everyone can see it and complain.

Saturday June 2, 2012

No dive

Interesting. I was as Bob Wentz on Tuesday and Friday. The Ranger guys were out there driving around and they didn't even give me the time of day.

CSSP - Terrell, TX
June 2, 2012

Air Temp: 75-92 throughout the day
Surface Temp: 78
Temp @ 22': 70
Temp @ 38': 61

Teammate: Bryan

It was very crowded until classes left around 3:30 pm

Vis: Maybe 10' around the middle (class area). We got 15-20' away from the training platforms in more "remote" areas.

Two sharp thermoclines as noted above. We were both diving dry with minimal undergarments, no hoods and gloves. Needless to say we didn't stay below the second thermocline for an extended period of time. :) It was, however, fun to drift between the temps at 22' when you wanted to warm up or cool down.

The Dive Shop (Swimming Pool) - San Marcos, TX
Air Temp - 90
Bottom Temp - 85 at 15'
Vis - 100'

My buddy and I spent about 6 hours with 50Fathom dialing in our BP/W's and working on bouyancy, frog kicks and various drills. Wayyy better then going to work for sure and have a better idea of what I need to work on now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom