Best simple wrist computer with user changeable batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isaac-1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am putting together a grab and go travel gear set and want to include a wrist mounted basic dive computer in the bundle, this would mainly be used on non dive trips that happen to be in locations with good diving, typically something to bring along on business trips that take me to south Florida, USVI, etc.

My desired features are:

Basic reliable air model (Nitrox ok, but not likely needed as this will likely only be used for 1 or 2 dives per trip)

User changeable batteries, using batteries that are commonly available

Would prefer a battery compartment that is isolated from the main electronics

Could be current production, or used ebay deal, etc.

Reasonably priced, while size is a factor, I don't want to pay a premium to save an ounce or two.

My goal is to get the complete gear set with mesh gear bag, etc. under 20 pounds, ideally airline carry on sized, not sure if I can do that with good fins though.

So which computers come to mind?

Tusa IQ700 or any of the similar models (Nitex Duo). Not sure if they are still currently produced. The battery is easy to change (use a quarter) as opposed to the finicky Oceanic/Suunto types.

Suunto Gecko
Suunto Zoop
New, they're something between US $250-300.

Haven't seen anything finicky about replacing Suunto Batteries. Admittedly a coin is easier to find than split-pin pliers, but a travel kit should include a basic repair kit, and these should be in the kit. You can also fabricate a 'pin' pretty easily with a length of #8 wire.

The idea here is travel light, any repair kit in it will be very minimal

The regulators will likely be Scubapro Mk II first stage with a G250 second stage, because they tend to be bullet proof, and if there is some minor issue, IP creep, etc. it is easy to crank down the adjustment knob on the second stage

BCD will probably be Scubapro Geo or GO travel BCD

Mask, basic RX low profile

Fins not sure yet.

Wrist top: Suunto Zoop/(Gekko 2nd hand). Reliable, cheap, simple, user replaceable battery.

Galileo Luna. Its air integrated so you can cut out a SPG. Its very easy to use. It has a battery compartment that is sealed from the electronics and the battery is user replaceable. It has a apnea mode for free diving too. It does not have the stupid Air/nitrox modes. It just had an O2 setting. It also does deco simply.

Later Mon,
Nick

If you want back inflate, look at a zuma. My travel kit is a mk25, s600, zuma with air 2, suunto d9 and Galileo sol. It's very light weight. As far as computers go, there are lots of options since any of them won't take up a ton of space. Fins, I would say get a se of full foots. Generally they are shorter and smaller and you don't need to bring boots. If you do a shore dive, you can throw some water socks that you can take off and put on the ff fins. Oceanic veo or geo 2's are good and user replaceable. Batteries are the cr250's that you should be able to find in most camera shops.

I would second the Goe 2.0. As far as fins I like the full foot for warm water or the Aqualung HotShot fins. They do not require boots and are part of the travel series. I'm very curious as to which computer you end up with so let us know what you end up getting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom