Cochran Gemini Disappointment Dont buy one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had and still do dive Cochran computers. My Gemini had a failure and flooded. Cochran replaced it for less than $300 no questions asked. They are awesome computers and have excellent customer service. IMO>

I have owned 3 Cochran computers, starting with their original Nemesis when it was first introduced around 1993, all worked well some were less than user friendly, but my limited experience with there customer service department has been good. This has mostly been battery related included upgraded tank unit battery caps just showing up in the mail when they improved the design, to free replacement wrist unit battery cap when I damaged one while unscrewing it. My last experience with their customer service was probably 5 years ago though.

This is my experience: Bought an EMC16 four years ago and used it for two years on every dive, until it failed: a crack appeared by the battery cap and water leaked in to it. I send it to Cochran and they repaired (I accepted the charge for the repair) . Then I bought an EMC20H and have love it for the last two years, but yesterday just entering to water it leaked. I dont see were or how it happened, the battery compartment is dry. Hope to be under the warranty limit this time.
I consider myself a really careful user, specially with this equipments, Always stored the cochran in the pelican case with the bubble protection, but now I think about the odds of having these kind of failures.... Just have send an e-mail to Cochran, to check if I am still under warranty, Hope to have an answer tomorrow. Not sure if I will continue to be a Cochran user ... other brands are less expensive.

SO now an update to my update: 6 months after getting some apprent help in getting my Cochran to perform it has again crapped out! In preparing for a dive trip to the Keys and changing all the batteries the unit will not function. The bells and whistles work and the WU reads displays the pressure but I am unable to enter any of the menus. The WU turns on by the touch of fingers the way it should but thats as far as it goes. I can't access FO2 menus, time, logs, etc. It appeared on the last dive the WU didn't show depth. The expensive software I bought in Feb to "talk" to my computer cant read the computer. It "sees" the computer but suggests I call customer service, who is if course closed on Labor Day, 3 days before my Keys trip. If this computer weighed a bit more I'd use it as a weight. P O C. So now I will once again relay on the $350 puck computer while the "worthless and undependable yet I paid $1300 for it" Cochran compuiter sits in my dive back. Thank you Cochran Computer

Please take the batteries of the units for 30 min to reset both computer.

If the batteries are allowed to discharge too low, or if removed for too long, may enter a state where it will not turn on even
with new batteries. If this occurs, remove the batteries and allow the unit to set for 30 minutes and then install fresh batteries. This
procedure could affect the internal Time of Day Clock‟s settings and
these settings should be verified via the Analyst® P.C. Interface.

WRIST UNIT WILL NOT WAKE-UP: If the WU is separated from the TU, while cylinder
pressure is being displayed and the WU goes to "sleep". The WU will not respond to
bridging or shorting contacts 1 and 2 (will not wake-up). In order to "wake - up" the WU, a
battery reset will have to be preformed. To perform a battery reset:
Remove the WU battery cap, using the battery replacement tool
Remove the top battery
Reinsert the battery backward (negative end in first)
Replace the battery cap
Wait +/- 15 seconds
Remove the battery cap
Remove the top battery
Reinsert the battery correctly (positive end in first)
Replace the battery cap
To prevent this WU condition, ensure that the WU is displaying zero cylinder pressure
before it is separated from the TU.

Back
Top Bottom