Why would you get a Solo Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, newbie as far as posting. I stopped logging dives over 10 years ago and have long since exercised my priviledges as an instructor. I live in the keys and dive off my own boat. I make an annual run to Cayman and dive with an operator that lets me do my thing but I was curious about other regions and how this "solo" concept was being accepted. When I instructed, it was generally still taboo to dive solo. Ive been diving solo since day one, Im just curious how its been accepted these days.

Newbie in regards to this forum or diving? Your profile would make it seem like this should have come up along the way - with 2,500+ dives as an instructor, that is. In any case, you should absolutely contact the operator. Many (most) of the big boats in tourist locations may take issue with your plan to solo dive and will buddy you up with someone on the boat. If that's something that will ruin your good time, it's better to know ahead of time. Also, be sure to get the very specific requirements for their operation in terms of certification. For instance, some agencies offer "Self Reliant" certifications and some offer "Solo" certifications. I've encountered an op locally that wouldn't take Self Reliant Diver and had to chase down someone to get the card that I needed. Also double check with them to see if any tech training you may have taken would suffice. Sometimes those certs are recognized as qualification to solo dive.

I guess in the end the big answer is "it depends", so call the Op to be sure.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 11:49 AM ----------

Good Point, when I dive solo in Cayman I'm rolling the dice since I dont have a redundant air supply. This is why I posted with regards to commercial operators. Particularily out of country since youre limited with you gear. Even If I could get my pony on the plane, It can be difficult finding an operator that will fill an offsite tank. This brings up a point in what peolpe use for redundant air when diving outside their local area. I.E travel via airline.

Sometimes the 'self reliant' certificate is not enough? IANTD has a self reliant certificate.
I believe only TDI had 'solo diver' on his certificate.

I don't have a solodive certificate, but if you have it, you can dive solo on commercial divetrips?
But how do you have everything redundant? Mostly you dive singletank and single valve on commercial recreational divetrips.

Just to add to the mix. I just finished a charter in the keys and the boat/shop I was with stated that they did not allow solo diving regardless of certs. Just because you have the cert card, does not mean that a shop/charter has to honor it. The capt was a nice guy and agreed that he solos all the time, regardless he stated he would not allow it secondary to liability.

Many shops even in the tropics have a local tech shop that can rent a pony bottle. I would also say that in many conditions you do not need redundant. I was in 25ft of water today. Not hard to get to the surface.

Yup, the guys down here have been pretty conservative for some time. I dont dive on their boats but I get fills from them and bs with some of the owners at our local gym. Every year a handful of people die as a result of dive accidents so the liability is a big factor and they tend to be conservative.

The reefs that the dive opertors visit are shalllow so redundant air is not an issue. The wrecks (duane, bibb, speigel) are deep enough to get into trouble without redundant air.

Just to add to the mix. I just finished a charter in the keys and the boat/shop I was with stated that they did not allow solo diving regardless of certs. Just because you have the cert card, does not mean that a shop/charter has to honor it. The capt was a nice guy and agreed that he solos all the time, regardless he stated he would not allow it secondary to liability.

Many shops even in the tropics have a local tech shop that can rent a pony bottle. I would also say that in many conditions you do not need redundant. I was in 25ft of water today. Not hard to get to the surface.

Why would you get a solo certification?

I have been diving solo since day one. I had never really seen a need for a solo cert until I was in Roatan in March. The dive/hotel package we purchased had "unlimited" beach diving as part of the package. The only problem was the LDS manager was anti-solo to the extreme. After having to listen to a lecture about how she had 2500+ logged dives and would still not consider diving solo, I had to find a "buddy" in order to take advantage of the "unlimited" shore diving. I tried to explain to her that drifting the same 4 mile long stretch of reef for a couple of years may not have given her the skills necessary to solo dive, but it was something that I enjoy doing on a regular basis. Needless to say, I didn't get my money's worth of "unlimited" shore diving that trip.... I believe that this type of attitude will progresively get worse as more divers show up with an actual solo card. For that reason, I will be looking to pick up a card sometime this summer.

. Will it change your diving?

That will depend on who the instructor is and what specific skills he or she may have and their level of training. I think a person can learn something from just about anyone that has different experiences than yours.

Will it be status symbol?

Not at all. I was happy diving with my original OW cert from the YMCA for about 30 years.....(Until the issues with liabilities came into play)

Which organization will you get your cert from (if you are getting one, that is)?

TDI - I want the card to say solo so there is no confusion on the part of the individual requesting the cert.

Why did you get a solo certification?
I got the SDI/TDI Solo card from a very experienced instructor and, as the only student, saw ways to do things and increase my skills in a different manner. I got tips on slinging my pony, how I could improve the way I removed/donned my gear underwater and others. It was time and money well spent.
Also my wife wasn’t too enthused of my solo diving before taking the course and now she feels more comfortable about it (happy wife - = happy life.) I had done a fair number of solo dives before taking the course.
It helped when diving last year in Roatan – no hassles about no buddy.
Another benefit is – if I get hurt while diving solo, being certified may make it easier for the insurance claims (companies will disqualify you for anything they can find.)
I sometimes dive in the province of Quebec and they have strict diving laws (require a provincial dive permit.) Although I have never been asked to show my dive permit to an officer, it would be just my luck to be caught solo diving without a certification card – and get fined!

Will it change your diving?
Yes, better awareness of my skills and techniques and more diving opportunities.

Will it be status symbol?
Absolutely – the number of women who flock to me when I flash the card is unbelievable!

Which organization did you get your cert from?
SDI/TDI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom