Reco GoPro mounting & use to newish diver (<20 dives)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the headstrap and din't like it either, so I dremmel'ed out some 1/8" lexan I bought at Home Depot for a couple of bucks, and epoxyed it to my the top of my mask, added a Go Pro flat adhesive mount and viola' mask mounted camera mount.

MAKO has recently introduced two different GoPro handle systems that are modular and inexpensive.

mar15h_053blk_dtl.jpg

m2htct_004blk_dtl.jpg
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...o-pro-handle-mako-two-handle-camera-tray.html

You can make a nifty wrist mount out of the headstrap. Don't have picture here where I am, but essentially take the straps off, all except the one connected to the mounting assembly and take the part with the rubber back and bolt the two together and the slight curvature fits the back of the wrist nicely. See www.webstervid.com for some examples, look at "Divey with Ivey" in the opening, Ivey is wearing my wrist mount and also look at "Northpoint Walkin Reduex" for a 720 60fps wristmounted video. It is nice to have the Blurfix on the housing since on your wrist, it gets banged up occasionally and that thing is almost indestructible. By grabbing your camera wrist with free hand, you make a very stable platform.

---------- Post added ----------

You can make a nifty wrist mount out of the headstrap. Don't have picture here where I am, but essentially take the straps off, all except the one connected to the mounting assembly and take the part with the rubber back and bolt the two together and the slight curvature fits the back of the wrist nicely. See www.webstervid.com for some examples, look at "Divey with Ivey" in the opening, Ivey is wearing my wrist mount and also look at "Northpoint Walkin Reduex" for a 720 60fps wristmounted video. It is nice to have the Blurfix on the housing since on your wrist, it gets banged up occasionally and that thing is almost indestructible. By grabbing your camera wrist with free hand, you make a very stable platform.

im kinda in the same position as sanD. i just bought my gopro with the new dive housing and i will be diving in Redang a week later. I will be reaching Singapore at the start of next week so i only have 1-2 days to either DIY a mount or buy it. not sure whether i have enough time to DIY though. Dauntless made a few awesome DIY with a 16:9 aspect ratio which really helps in filming, but yea im nt sure whether i have the time to make it/getting the materials. I might just get a ULCS gopro tray and 2 handles. http://www.fun-in.com.tw/share/documents/ulcs/BrochureOct2011sm2.pdf

I bought the headstrap and din't like it either, so I dremmel'ed out some 1/8" lexan I bought at Home Depot for a couple of bucks, and epoxyed it to my the top of my mask, added a Go Pro flat adhesive mount and viola' mask mounted camera mount.

Hey jason, i used the headmount as well for one dive and i really didn't like it. now i'm thinking of doing a mask mount, how do you like it so far? any issue with shaking or maybe making your mask too front heavy?
for everyone else on this thread i also have a wrist mount that i made myself i just went and got a wrist strap from cvs/walgreens or any pharmacy that has an aluminum plates to immobilize the wrist, i took the bottom one out for movement and left the top one. drilled a hole on the metal plate side for a screw and same on the go-pro flat mount and thats it. (ill try to post a pic if i find one) i find it it works well, But... i feel a tradeoff is that if you shoot pics at the interval rate, you will get a lot of blurry pics because of hand movement, video same, if you move your hands too much. i've only done 1080 though not 720. i'm going to bring it to that on my next dive.IMG_0589.jpgIMG_0632.jpgIMG_0633.jpg

Last edited:
Nice video Malfalian, I still think the head mount is a good option to have for dives like that where you want your hands free. Your not going to post a full dive anyway so you will end up cutting the worst bits, even though I did post one full video with the sharks from boat to boat.

@ Craigabarr have you got any video online with the chest mount? I got the chest mount ages ago intending to try it but still havent got around to it along with a few other experimental mounts I made.

Back
Top Bottom